Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

Watch this review for more insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeWCLx3vbPQ

Juha1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,009
Message 42 of 608

@iron77 wrote:

Would you be able to ask Lenovo whether they could include 32GB RAM version, at least in the future? That's planned for X390 (summer release), it would be a shame if X1C7 will not have it :/.

X1 and X390 use different kind of memory. X1 is using the low power LPDDR memory, X390 regular DDR4.

I think at some point the 16GB of lowpower memory was a limitation from Intel side - not sure if this is still the case. This was widely discussed couple of years ago when people were complaining why Apple Macbook Pros were limited to 16GB.

KeithENG
Paper Tape
Views: 5,852
Message 43 of 608

I have a gen6 carbon with the high res display and scaling so far is a crap shoot. I keep hoping I will find a fix (not looking very hard), but haven’t found anything yet. 

I think it really depends on what applications you are using. I use Fusion 360 and it hasn’t been scaling well. Most other apps will, but at some times even the file explorer looks blurry. 

It it also seems as if certain scaling ratios work better. If I’m using 150% everything is a good readable size, but some applications are blurry. If I’m using 125% (currently using), everything is just too small to be comfortable, but things appear to scale a little better. 

I also dont don’t care for the glossy screen. It’s usable, but not worth the pain. 

Im looking at getting a gen 7 with FHD and matte (non-glossy) screen. I might miss the high resolution when looking at photos, but I need this laptop to be a workhorse, not a pleasure machine. Won’t mind the extra battery life from the FHD also. 

madranger
What's DOS?
Views: 5,634
Message 44 of 608

Any idea of the release date since now is already middle of June. I saw lots of sales online... probably a sign? Thx

Carnacki
Punch Card
Views: 5,400
Message 45 of 608

Are we talking about scaling on external monitors, or on the X1’s display itself? I don’t plan on connecting it to an external, but I do use a 27” WQHD display on my desktop. I was looking at the WQHD X1C, but is the FHD actually the one to get?

layer9
Punch Card
Views: 5,031
Message 46 of 608

Hi,

I‘m from Germany and am waiting eagerly for the X1C7 as well.

I‘m working as a IT systems administrator and currently use an EliteBook 820G4 with 12.5“ screen and FHD resolution.

Since I am working increasingly from mobile I need a device with higher resolution and larger screen that is still lightwight however. I also need a very good keyboard since I am typing a lot. Therefore I‘m planning on going for the X1C7 with matte WQHD screen. We have some X1C5 in our company and I find the screen to be perfect.

Regarding scaling: I often use my current EliteBook 820 with FHD to work via Remote Desktop on my desk PC that has a 4K screen. Switching scalings in RDP works just great with Windows 10 (1809) and Office 365 (1902). I don‘t have any issues with any of my admin programs either. I am therefore considering WQHD as a sweet spot on the 14“ screen.

The only concern regarding the X1C7 I have is regarding fan noise and temperatures. While most of the time I only need a small amount of CPU power I hope that the fan doesn‘t get too loud when more power is needed! I have read that this has been in issue with the X1C6 and since the X1C7 is even slimmer I am worrying a little ...

BR

Michael

KeithENG
Paper Tape
Views: 4,966
Message 47 of 608

I have yet to hook my X1C6 up to an external monitor, so cannot comment on scaling there. All my scaling issues have been on the laptop display.

If you use mostly basic windows software (Office Suite) there is a good chance you will not notice the scaling issue. It seems that only certain programs have scaling issues, so it maybe google the software you use to see if it has scaling issues.

You can always buy a unit and return/exchange with Lenovo’s 30-day return policy. I be used it without issue on an X1 Extreme. 

Regarding fan noise, this has not been an issue on my maxed out 6th gen unit and I push it pretty hard with CAD. 

Sprite_nFanta
Paper Tape
Views: 4,394
Message 48 of 608

What about the X1Y4? Do you know anything about it's release date and specs?

Thanks a lot!!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,319
Message 49 of 608

We were told that the X1C7 and X1Y4 are on the same release schedule. They share a lot of characteristics, including the same User Guide and Hardware Maintenance Manual.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
gtg493q
What's DOS?
Views: 2,937
Message 50 of 608

Given now past half way into June 2019, can anyone tell me if they've heard an update on release of the X1 Carbon 7th Generation?  And other than refreshing the Lenovo website each day, is there a way to be notified automatically upon arrival and ability to order? I have to buy a computer in the next 1 week, and am considering whether I should just bite the bullet and go with a different laptop I have been considering, or if its worth waiting for the X1C7.

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors