Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

Nice, Lisa's reviews are awesome.

kirkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,427
Message 572 of 665

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen Low Power FHD 400 Nit

Hi,

I'm looking at ordering the new X1 Gen 7 and I'm trying to decide between the Low Power Screen with the 400 Nits of brightness or the WQHD for a sharper screen but not as bright.

Have not found any reviews yet with the FHD Low Power screen, has anyone purchased the X1 with that screen and if so what are your thoughts on the brightness vs sharpness and color accuracy?

Thanks,

Kirk

maxara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,421
Message 573 of 665

Re: Would scaling be an issue with UHD and WQHD? FHD shouldn't have issues.

Have anybody tried the wqhd scaling in an Ubuntu Linux? As far as I know there is just the possibility to scale 100 or 200 or 300 percent otherwise you have enable experimental fractional scaling which causes more processor load. I am not sure at the moment whether I should take the FHD or the wqhd.

Thank you in advance

MrBungle
What's DOS?
Views: 1,352
Message 574 of 665

Hi everyone! I really have headache about what display I should get. Im doing photography as a hobby and also I travel a lot, and that size on laptop is perfect for me, and I think that laptop ls enought to use programs like lightroom or so. I really dont wanna buy a macbook, and lenovo is one brand i like and specially thinkpads, i had one before  long time ago and i love thr keyboard. My question is, wich one of thse 3 displays i should get? I have enought money for 4k, but dont wanna be all day depending of one cable, also i saw some 4k displays and reflect too much! So, if i get full hd, what kind of fhd i should get? Normal one or WQHD? Im really confused and cand decide and i need to buy it soon. Can u helo me? One more time, i use laptop specially for some spanish blogs and lightroom/photoshop.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks! ^^

Gregarious
Paper Tape
Views: 1,044
Message 575 of 665

So i got to see the X1C7 at Costco.  The FHD screen, to be honest, was a disappointment.   Grainy, not super sharp.  This is on the heels of visiting Best Buy and looked at the Thinkpad L380 Yoga, which also had a FHD panel, but this was was very good, bright.   Does the Yoga have a higher nits than the Costco version? 

Also, i thought that the Yoga had better key travel and in general liked the keyboard better vs the X1C7

kirkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 900
Message 576 of 665

The L380 appears to have the same bightness rating but this is a 13.3 screen you're comparing to a 14", at the same resolution I would expect the smaller screen to look sharper and maybe brighter as well.

I also thought the model at Costco was just on the edge of not bright enough so I decided to not get the WQHD and opted for the base FDH at 400 nits, I think the only time I would miss the WQHD would be when editing photos but I would only do that if traveling and would always do a final edit when I was back at my 27" color accurate monitor.

Kirk

kirkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 896
Message 577 of 665

If this is your only computer to edit photos with I would recommend the WQHD, it will be sharper and maybe a bit more color accurate than the FHD options.

Notebook Check has a review:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2019-WQHD-Live-Review-Still-the-reference-am...

Kirk

kcilo
Paper Tape
Views: 873
Message 578 of 665

Would you consider the 4K and then buying a couple external batteries/battery chargers?

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 445
Message 579 of 665

I recently purchased the new 7th generation X1 Carbon and am generally pleased with the device.

Besides some coil whine issues that I can more or less happily ignore, my only complaint is with the Synaptics touchpad.

While it generally works ok, including multi finger gestures, the soft touch cover material of it is really giving me a hard time. Whenever I’m using it more intensively some kind of grit or debris is forming on the surface requiring a wipe of the touchpad to facilitate further interactions. I still haven’t figured out the origin of the stuff (does it come from the touchpad surface or my fingers?), it appears even if I’m using it after very thoroughly washing my hands with soap and alcoholic disinfectant.

Does anyone else have this problem? I’m considering returning the laptop because of it despite liking most of the rest.

Here’s a photo of the problem for reference:

F1977C8C-CF28-46D7-9AAE-06D068A56E59.jpeg

I may add that I have never had this problem with any other touchpad or touchscreen. I also don’t have it with my other Thinkpads (T480s and L470).

Johor
Punch Card
Views: 429
Message 580 of 665

@Anonymous_User wrote:

I recently purchased the new 7th generation X1 Carbon and am generally pleased with the device.

Besides some coil whine issues that I can more or less happily ignore, my only complaint is with the Synaptics touchpad.

While it generally works ok, including multi finger gestures, the soft touch cover material of it is really giving me a hard time. Whenever I’m using it more intensively some kind of grit or debris is forming on the surface requiring a wipe of the touchpad to facilitate further interactions. I still haven’t figured out the origin of the stuff (does it come from the touchpad surface or my fingers?), it appears even if I’m using it after very thoroughly washing my hands with soap and alcoholic disinfectant.

Does anyone else have this problem? I’m considering returning the laptop because of it despite liking most of the rest.

Here’s a photo of the problem for reference:

F1977C8C-CF28-46D7-9AAE-06D068A56E59.jpeg

I may add that I have never had this problem with any other touchpad or touchscreen. I also don’t have it my other Thinkpads (T480s and L470).

I didn't observe that on mine in the last month but I'm not using the touchpad very intensively. I wanted to share also: I have absolutely no coil whine noise, if it helps. Maybe a case for a visit at the Lenovo service.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors