Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 657
Message 581 of 664

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

@Johor wrote:

I didn't observe that on mine in the last month but I'm not using the touchpad very intensively. I wanted to share also: I have absolutely no coil whine noise, if it helps. Maybe a case for a visit at the Lenovo service.

The coil whine issue alone wouldn’t warrant a service incident for me. As I said I can ignore it as I’m not too sensitive to it and it only appears under load. I also have coil whine with my other two Thinkpads (L470 and T480s).

JoseVelasco
Punch Card
Views: 641
Message 582 of 664

No issues with the trackpad in mine for past 2 weeks like you have described. No coil whine. 

redavis41
Paper Tape
Views: 626
Message 583 of 664

No flicker on my screen since the last update on the 15th.
CarbonUser
Punch Card
Views: 599
Message 584 of 664

@Anonymous_User wrote:

I recently purchased the new 7th generation X1 Carbon and am generally pleased with the device.

Besides some coil whine issues that I can more or less happily ignore, my only complaint is with the Synaptics touchpad.

While it generally works ok, including multi finger gestures, the soft touch cover material of it is really giving me a hard time. Whenever I’m using it more intensively some kind of grit or debris is forming on the surface requiring a wipe of the touchpad to facilitate further interactions. I still haven’t figured out the origin of the stuff (does it come from the touchpad surface or my fingers?), it appears even if I’m using it after very thoroughly washing my hands with soap and alcoholic disinfectant.

Does anyone else have this problem? I’m considering returning the laptop because of it despite liking most of the rest.

I may add that I have never had this problem with any other touchpad or touchscreen. I also don’t have it with my other Thinkpads (T480s and L470).

I do not have this problem with the touchpad, but I use it very casually. I would suggest using an external mouse either way if you're using it that much. Otherwise, my guess is this is something from your fingers as it doesn't start happening for some time. If it occurred right away, then I'd say either could be the culprit.

Also, I too do not have coil whine. And actually, I couldn't even hear the fans until I forced them on and created my own "fan curve".

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 572
Message 585 of 664

I can confirm that the laptop is very quiet, much quieter than either my T480s or L470. Only because the fan is mostly off and very quiet on the lowest setting did I notice the coil whine. 

As for the trackpad, may I ask how the surface material of your trackpad feels like? I’ve read at some places that the X1C is supposed to have a glass trackpad but mine certainly feels more like a rubbery surface.

JoseVelasco
Punch Card
Views: 551
Message 586 of 664

@redavis41

Flicker still in mine after the update. I am pretty sure it is my screen. Learning to live with it. My screen is perfect otherwise no backlight bleed, colors are great. Don't think it is enough to send back for repair and risk getting back one with something worse. Thank you for the update.

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 547
Message 587 of 664

@Anonymous_User wrote:

I recently purchased the new 7th generation X1 Carbon and am generally pleased with the device.

I still haven’t figured out the origin of the stuff (does it come from the touchpad surface or my fingers?), it appears even if I’m using it after very thoroughly washing my hands with soap and alcoholic disinfectant.

Does anyone else have this problem? I’m considering returning the laptop because of it despite liking most of the rest.

Here’s a photo of the problem for reference:

F1977C8C-CF28-46D7-9AAE-06D068A56E59.jpeg

I may add that I have never had this problem with any other touchpad or touchscreen. I also don’t have it with my other Thinkpads (T480s and L470).

@vezovezo:

just a thought -- your hand disinfectant may be something that is not simply pure alcohol.

it may well be something that contains alcohol for disinfecting, but also contains some type of emolient in order to help to not dry your hands.  that emolient may be what is leaving a residue on your hands/finger tips and thus, with rubbing on the trackpad's surface, that residue comes off.

JoseVelasco
Punch Card
Views: 541
Message 588 of 664

I also believe it is supposed to be glass but as yours it does feel to have some minor resistance when moving my fingers. I actually like it more than the prior gen X1C6.

fetorius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 505
Message 589 of 664

Has anyone successfully replaced the X1C7 SSD with a double sided SSD (such as the Adata Sx8200)? I've been reading mixed reviews on whether it worked successfully in the X1C6, which some mentioning bending of the SSD due to it being double sided while others had no issues.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 476
Message 590 of 664

@dualmonitors wrote:

@vezovezo:

just a thought -- your hand disinfectant may be something that is not simply pure alcohol.

it may well be something that contains alcohol for disinfecting, but also contains some type of emolient in order to help to not dry your hands.  that emolient may be what is leaving a residue on your hands/finger tips and thus, with rubbing on the trackpad's surface, that residue comes off.

It is a valid idea, although I also have the problem with the trackpad when I didn’t use the disinfectant on the same day. I normally don’t use disinfectant all the time, I actually specifically tried out the disinfectant because of this issue as I thought it might be caused by some finger grease, so I figured the alcohol in the disinfectant might be a way to get rid of the (natural) finger grease for testing purposes...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors