dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 1,063
Message 591 of 664

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

@Anonymous_User wrote:

@dualmonitors wrote:

@vezovezo:

just a thought -- your hand disinfectant may be something that is not simply pure alcohol.

it may well be something that contains alcohol for disinfecting, but also contains some type of emolient in order to help to not dry your hands.  that emolient may be what is leaving a residue on your hands/finger tips and thus, with rubbing on the trackpad's surface, that residue comes off.

It is a valid idea, although I also have the problem with the trackpad when I didn’t use the disinfectant on the same day. I normally don’t use disinfectant all the time, I actually specifically tried out the disinfectant because of this issue as I thought it might be caused by some finger grease, so I figured the alcohol in the disinfectant might be a way to get rid of the (natural) finger grease for testing purposes...

@vezovezo:

may i please offer one other suggestion?

why don't you try dishwashing liquid to wash your hands?    that is the liquid you use in your kitchen sink to wash dishes with a sponge, NOT the powder or gel you use in your dishwasher (too caustic!).

those are very much de-greasing and anti-grease, and yet, they don't really leave a residue too often.

here in the US, there is a brand called Dawn and specifically, it does not leave a residue because even eyeglass lens manufacturers specifically recommend using a diluted amount of Dawn to wash your eye glasses' lenses!

just a thought.  trying to help.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 902
Message 592 of 664

@Anonymous_User wrote:

I recently purchased the new 7th generation X1 Carbon and am generally pleased with the device.

Besides some coil whine issues that I can more or less happily ignore, my only complaint is with the Synaptics touchpad.

While it generally works ok, including multi finger gestures, the soft touch cover material of it is really giving me a hard time. Whenever I’m using it more intensively some kind of grit or debris is forming on the surface requiring a wipe of the touchpad to facilitate further interactions. I still haven’t figured out the origin of the stuff (does it come from the touchpad surface or my fingers?), it appears even if I’m using it after very thoroughly washing my hands with soap and alcoholic disinfectant.

Does anyone else have this problem? I’m considering returning the laptop because of it despite liking most of the rest.

Dumb question, but could there be a protective film over your trackpad? On the lower left of your picture it kind of looks like something is starting to peel off. It's a long shot, but maybe these have some protective film on them at some point in the fab/assembly process, and on your unit it didn't get removed? 

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 857
Message 593 of 664

@dualmonitors

@vezovezo:

may i please offer one other suggestion?

why don't you try dishwashing liquid to wash your hands?    that is the liquid you use in your kitchen sink to wash dishes with a sponge, NOT the powder or gel you use in your dishwasher (too caustic!).

those are very much de-greasing and anti-grease, and yet, they don't really leave a residue too often.

here in the US, there is a brand called Dawn and specifically, it does not leave a residue because even eyeglass lens manufacturers specifically recommend using a diluted amount of Dawn to wash your eye glasses' lenses!

just a thought.  trying to help.

I tried this with the dishwashing liquid I have at home, washing my hands very thoroughly with it and drying them with paper towels afterwards, but it didn’t make any difference, unfortunately. I tend to think this substance on the trackpad is actually rubbed off trackpad material, not skin, grease or dirt. So then it should get better with prolonged use...

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 856
Message 594 of 664

@joesixgig

Dumb question, but could there be a protective film over your trackpad? On the lower left of your picture it kind of looks like something is starting to peel off. It's a long shot, but maybe these have some protective film on them at some point in the fab/assembly process, and on your unit it didn't get removed? 

What you can see in the lower left corner is the scratch from my previous attempt to test this idea... As you can see I was not successful.

OS_1
Punch Card
Views: 392
Message 595 of 664

I felt that I need to update you on 15% restocking fee.
There is none. Full paid amount has been refunded to my CC. No question asked.
OS_1
Punch Card
Views: 382
Message 596 of 664

On my X1C 7 (second unit, as I returned 4K and bought 2K version) I can feel some stuff under my finder on the keypad when I move around. It is very annoying and I consider to return. I see very white debris, (but must use magnifier glass) .
I wash my hands. Don't ask. Smiley Happy
I have never experienced this effect with any previous laptops that I have owned. (5 of them: 2 HP, 2 Dell and Mac Pro)

Here is a picture.

CarbonUser
Punch Card
Views: 369
Message 597 of 664

@OS_1 wrote:

On my X1C 7 (second unit, as I returned 4K and bought 2K version) I can feel some stuff under my finder on the keypad when I move around. It is very annoying and I consider to return. I see very white debris, (but must use magnifier glass) .
I wash my hands. Don't ask. Smiley Happy
I have never experienced this effect with any previous laptops that I have owned. (5 of them: 2 HP, 2 Dell and Mac Pro)

How is the screen quality difference?

OS_1
Punch Card
Views: 362
Message 598 of 664

2K is golden sweet spot for laptops in my opinion. Sharper then FD, but not by much. True matte screen. Brightness is weak point for all but 4K options with Lenovo.
With 4K (500 nits) I could work with 75-80%. With 2K which only offers 300 nits I must set to 100% and even with max settings it is border line for me.
However even with 2K screen X1C 7 doesn't deliver in battery department. Max, I am getting is 5.5 hours. My work day is 8 hours.
And I don't run video games, or video conversion of any kind. My working tools are: Chrome with 3-5 tabs and python editor.

I cannot go lower then 2K, as I find FD is not sharp. This may not be case for you. Visit BB or Costco. They have X1C with FD .
kirkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 337
Message 599 of 664

Thanks for the display feedback.  I also felt the 300 nits was borderline for me when I looked at the X1 at Costco.

I was considering the 2K for the sharpness but also the base display for the brighter 400 nits and better battery life.

I'm waiting for notebookcheck to review the 400 nits panel which they already have.

I have not seen any posts yet from those that might have the 400 nits display so not much to base a decision on yet.

OS_1
Punch Card
Views: 329
Message 600 of 664

How do you folks find  the perfromance on every days tasks on X1C 7th?

My 2K version with top CPU [i7-8665U with vPro] and 16GB is somewhat sluggish. Definetly doesnt feel quick at all.

I am reffering to basic tasks, like opening chrome, loading simple pages, starting playing youtube video, swithcing bewteen apps. Even I noted a delay when I start typing in Visual Studio or notepadd++. 

As a matter of fact in some instances it really slow. This is odd.

My 9 years HP with just 6GB basically perfroms same as brand new X1C 7 with 16GB of RAM

In office I have HP with only 8GB with 5 times more application on it. It is 2 years old and yet, it definetly feels snappier than X1C 7 with 16GB. 

In first 48 hours owning X1C I blammed various updates (Windows 10 and Lenovo apps) , but it has been 5 days and the perfromance isn't imporing at all. 

I do not run any heavy on memory applications or DB instances. It is personal PC. Win task manager doesnt list anything suspecuis. Chrome is known to be RAM hog, but still only 3-5 tabs are open.

Please share your experience. Thank you

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors