Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 1,410
Message 661 of 762

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

What you see in battery times is perfectly normal. None of our machines have ever been able to reach even closeto the advertised times. Maybe 40% if we are lucky....

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,386
Message 662 of 762

@drjochen wrote:

What you see in battery times is perfectly normal. None of our machines have ever been able to reach even closeto the advertised times. Maybe 40% if we are lucky....

Yeah, and given that, I’m a bit disappointed that Ars Technica ran this as the byline: 

Lenovo promised 18 hours of battery life, and it delivered with this $1,462 notebook

That’s going to lead to some disappointed buyers..

OS_1
Punch Card
Views: 1,370
Message 663 of 762

False advertisement about battery life always leads to loses as the buyers have solid case to return machines they just bought.
Wouldn't that harm a profits and overall number of sold items?
What's the point?

Look in auto industry. Some cheap companies lie a lot about projected MPG and some more solid automakers state very accurate MPG.

Another example, Apple phones. I owned 4 since 2013. All of them held on-screen time with 85-90% of what Apple advertised.

Once I bought Samsung Note and guess what. Battery life time was all over the place. Not consistent. At the end, I returned it.

Same goes around X1C. You got my point. Smiley Happy
Maert
Punch Card
Views: 1,332
Message 664 of 762

@OS_1 wrote:
About Ars Techica review.
With due respect, I must disagree regarding a battery live on X1C 7th. I am on third version of 2019 model:
4K lasted lasts < 4 hr
2K version lasts < 5.5-6 hr at best
FDH version (not low power) lasts < 7 hr at best.
The usage was very light. (Chrome -3-5 max tabs).
Screen - 100% as FHD is only 300 nits. In short a screen is not bright at all.
Visual studio. Outlook client.
No other applications running.

You did not indicate  which power setting do you use when on the battery. When I don't have 100% screen brightness and the power options are set to less than 80%, I can get 8 hours easily on my 2k screen.

EMason
Paper Tape
Views: 869
Message 665 of 762

The X1C7 looks to be a great machine, but I still can't believe the fact that Lenovo STILL doesn't have the physical keyboard layout of Ctrl at the corner instead of Fn as a build option! The current layout is such an anachronistic design that Lenovo's own Ideapad, Thinkbook, let alone the rest of the industry, do not take up.

I'm not going to repeat how the current corner layout does not make sense, as this issue has already been expounded by many others:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Manifesto-on-Fn-Ctrl-key-placement/td-p/42882...

Just one point I want to make - give us the corner Ctrl physical keyboard layout as a build option!

If not, get your head out of the sand and align the keyboard layout of your own product lines.

CarbonUser
Punch Card
Views: 791
Message 666 of 762

@EMason wrote:

The X1C7 looks to be a great machine, but I still can't believe the fact that Lenovo STILL doesn't have the physical keyboard layout of Ctrl at the corner instead of Fn as a build option! The current layout is such an anachronistic design that Lenovo's own Ideapad, Thinkbook, let alone the rest of the industry, do not take up.

I'm not going to repeat how the current corner layout does not make sense, as this issue has already been expounded by many others:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Manifesto-on-Fn-Ctrl-key-placement/td-p/42882...

Just one point I want to make - give us the corner Ctrl physical keyboard layout as a build option!

If not, get your head out of the sand and align the keyboard layout of your own product lines.

Don’t know if you’re aware, but you can logically swap them from BIOS or vantage software. It’s one of the first things I did with mine. 

Stebone
Paper Tape
Views: 532
Message 667 of 762

Just purchased my X1 at Costco on Friday.  So far, so good.  I had to send my HP Spectre x360 4K laptop in for repair due to two keys on the keyboard not working.  I really like the weight of this unit.  My only issue so far has been the battery calibration where is was stuck at 95%. I did a battery calibration using the Lenovo Vantage and everything is fine now. I do have a question.  My HP Spectre came with a USB stick if I ever want to recover to factory defaults.  Was curious on this model.  If I ever had an issue where either 1: Had to send it in for repair or 2: Return it to Costco within the 90-day period, or 3: Decided to wipe it to sell or give to a family member or 4: Upgrade the NVMe M.2 to somthing larger (like the 2TB in my HP Spectre). If I ever sent the unit in for repair, they may just replace it with another unit and I'd want to make sure I had the original hardware before sending it in.  So my question is does Lenovo provide a USB recovery stick or some other method to return the unit to factory defaults?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 525
Message 668 of 762

@Stebone wrote:

So my question is does Lenovo provide a USB recovery stick or some other method to return the unit to factory defaults?

You can do it locally if the drive and OS are more-or-less intact: Settings -> Update & Recovery -> Reset.

You can - and should - also make your own bootable recovery media: "recovery drive" in the task bar search box.

[edit to add] Yet another option is downloading recovery media from Lenovo:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653?LinkTrack=Solr

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

OS_1
Punch Card
Views: 517
Message 669 of 762

to: Maert

300 nits is rather dim to start with. even 100% is hardly enough. Maybe 80% works for you. I am glad. But for me and many others users is too dim.

I also just bought X1 Extreme 2 with 500 nits FHD screen. ( I would like to decide which one to keep ). X1 extreme monitor is much more pleasant to look at.
Stebone
Paper Tape
Views: 513
Message 670 of 762

Z, Thanks for the quick response.  Honestly, I've never used the image backup from Microsoft (and we are a MS partner). We use 3rd party backup image products (ShadowProtect by StorageCraft and Active Backup for Business by Synology). The latter is only in situations where they have a Synology NAS.  I'd want to get it back to a point prior to installing any apps.  I did make an image when I first booted the unit using a generic "Installer" account and local workgroup (vs joining domain).  I could always restore to that point I suppose. I just thought that Lenovo might already have an image build that was restorable to a point prior to spin-up for the first time.  I go back quite a ways when IBM branded Lenovo and had their own line of servers.  I started in this industry before Microsoft and Apple existed, so I guess I'm an old IT guy Smiley Wink.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors