Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 5,722
Message 71 of 591

Re: X1C7: FHD or WQHD

@dualmonitors wrote:

may i ask if the FHD at 1920x1080 will be plenty good and the resolution will be very crispy (text and basic images) for an essentially business-use machine, with a good amount of web surfing use as well?

Honestly at 1080p on a screen this size things will not look as crisp as they could. That's far from 'retina resolution' if I may borrow Apple's term. It will look perfectly readable, but you will notice some subtle jagged edges, or at least I do. 

Another issue is brightness, I believe the higher res screen is the only one with a brightness larger than 300nits. I think the HDR screen goes to 450nits? So if you do any laptop work in a bright environment (significant amount of sunlight entering) you might want to stay away frm 300nits which is pretty dim imo. 

Lindersss
Paper Tape
Views: 5,696
Message 72 of 591

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

Hello,

New here! I'm interested in the new X1 Yoga but it looks like the IR camera and the ThinkPad PrivacyGuard is optional but not in any of the current packages. When do you think we'll get an option to customize?

Thanks!

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 5,592
Message 73 of 591

Does anyone know if any of these FHD screen options are "HiDPI" (pixel doubling) or are none of the HiDPI screen options?

Thank you in advance.

If the FHD options are indeed HiDPI, then chances are these FHD 14" screens would look very smooth!  If the FHD options are non-HiDPI, then there is a chance that one may see some jagged edges.

Most people seem to say that FHD is plenty good, plenty high resolution, very refined looking, only very few says that they see jagged edges on a 14" FHD.

Carnacki
Punch Card
Views: 5,490
Message 74 of 591

The native screen resolution of my 13" retina Macbook Pro is 2560 x 1600. MacOS uses pixel doubling to scale this to 1280 x 800. Windows scaling uses a different method, I believe, so even on screens with the same dimensions and the same pixel density, Windows and macOS look different.

I've watched a few video reviews of the X1C 6th gen on YouTube, and those with the FHD screen say it looks very nice. Unbox Therapy did a side-by-side of the FHD and WQHD screens and obviously the WQHD was better, when the two machines were literally compared directly.

My desktop uses a 27" WQHD display and Windows 10 looks smooth enough - but not as smooth as macOS in comparison, but then that comparison isn't fair. My Macbook Pro has a glossy 300 nit screen, and the brightness is perfect for me.

The easiest way to answer the question is probably to just go to a computer store that sells Windows laptops and find one with a native res of 1920 x 1080, and play around with the scaling to see what it looks like.

layer9
Punch Card
Views: 5,472
Message 75 of 591

Question: Will choosing an i5 over an i7 result in lower temperatures and lese fan noise?

Hartmannsson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,063
Message 76 of 591

Is the performance increase worth it?

Thanks for sharing.  With the somewhat modest CPU upgrade, same amount of memory & speed and 'enough' storage space, does it feel considerably faster now that you've had it for a while?
On paper there's just marginal difference but sometimes raw numbers don't reveal everything.  The biggest (only notable) performance improvement is the claimed battery life - are you getting around 20% more out of the 7gen?
My less than year old 6th gen doesn't go much beyond 4 hours in medium battery save mode so 20% extra would come in handy.

Intel Core i7 8665U vs i7 8650U

Kaby Lake vs Whiskey Lake

P72 Xeon 96GB (2x 970 Pro RAID0 soon) | X1 Carbon 16GB 1TB
dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 4,922
Message 77 of 591

Would scaling be an issue with UHD and WQHD? FHD shouldn't have issues.

The more i read as i struggle to decide between the 3 screens, the more i realize that i know so little regarding Windows 10's scaling capabilities or lack of.

With so many UHD and WQHD units of X1C sold (as well as many other models from various manufacturers), why would all these people be buying these resolutions at a merely 14" screen size IF they are unable to use it without issues?

i just don't understand and can't figure out if the UHD or the WQHD might give me issues or not?

look forward to learning more here.  thank you in advance.

Carnacki
Punch Card
Views: 4,911
Message 78 of 591

Re: Would scaling be an issue with UHD and WQHD? FHD shouldn't have issues.

Yes I'm trying to get my head around this.

On the one hand, WQHD results in poor Windows scaling and everything looks jagged.

On the other hand, FHD is too low a resolution and everything looks jagged.

Which just leaves 4k, which can be scaled exactly down to FHD, and therefore everything looks super sharp.

Having said that - I am aware that people on the internet like us are being very picky, and I'm sure the FHD and WQHD screens are just fine, really!

dualmonitors
HDMI
Views: 4,834
Message 79 of 591

@Carnacki:

May i ask how certain you are about UHD being able to be scaled PRECISELY perfectly down to FHD without any issues whatsoever?

if so, why wouldn't that be the perfect solution?

now i'm confused.

of course, we're taking price out of the equation for the time being, and the minor differences in battery life out of the equation as well.  how much can battery life differ between UHD and FHD?  30 minutes?

MaurizioCY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,821
Message 80 of 591

The big plus of FHD compared to WQHD is a brightness of 400 Nits and the ePrivacy option. On my Gen4 WQHD 300 Nits display I am missing the additional brightness when working outside or on train / plane.  PLUS the display should be matte / non glare compared to 4K version.

Battery life should be much higher compared to 4K version, just check out some reviews of the previous Gen6 laptop comparison. Rather spend the money on a great OLED Tv if you love to watch movies.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors