cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iheanyi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,634
Message 81 of 594

Re: Would scaling be an issue with UHD and WQHD? FHD shouldn't have issues.

As someone who has used a 17.3" workstation with 1080p screen for the past 6.5 years, I have to disagree with the idea that things look "jagged" on a 14" screen with FHD resoluton. Don't get me wrong, higher pixel density does look better but if you're not already in the 4k ecosystem, I strongly doubt you'd have issues.

For those who want discrete graphics - why not get an X1E or P1?

I'm personally waiting for the Gen 2 P1. Seeing the Gen 7 X1C become available, limited sku as it currently is, gives me hope that the promise of the Gen 2 P1 being available end of June will be realized. Hopefully with an i9. The next gen X1E is supposed to come online before the P1 and their non-Xeon processor options should be the same.

If no i9, I'd likely just get the gen 1 P1. No point paying a premium for a machine that will already be old when I can get it cheaper and likely on independence day sale.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,599
Message 82 of 594

225% scaling is working for me on the UHD X1C7. 150% on the WQHD X1C6. I'm not having any scaling issues, but that may be a function of the applications I use.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
KeithENG
Paper Tape
Views: 3,591
Message 83 of 594

@dualmonitors wrote:

@Carnacki:

May i ask how certain you are about UHD being able to be scaled PRECISELY perfectly down to FHD without any issues whatsoever?

if so, why wouldn't that be the perfect solution?

now i'm confused.

of course, we're taking price out of the equation for the time being, and the minor differences in battery life out of the equation as well.  how much can battery life differ between UHD and FHD?  30 minutes?

I remember from gen6 reviews, they were saying more like 2hrs.  I cannot personally verify.  My UHD gen6 gets about 6-8hrs. I'm leaning toward the added 2hrs over screen resolution that's nice but not needed. 

gsadovski
Paper Tape
Views: 3,554
Message 84 of 594

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen X1C7 - first look

Anyone knows how I could check the release date in Japan?

dpazz
Punch Card
Views: 3,352
Message 85 of 594

Bananaman how have you managed to get hold of the UHD model X1C7 so quickly? It's not even shown as being available on the US store?

Carnacki
Punch Card
Views: 3,340
Message 86 of 594

@DualMonitors

UHD will scale perfectly to FHD, as 3840 x 2160 is precisely twice the resolution of 1920 x 1080. So set the Windows scaling to 200% and it will be very sharp. However, on a 14" screen this may still be too small (as it would be the equivalent of running a native 1920 x 1080 screen at 100%).

WQHD is 2560 x 1440, so FHD doesn't divide equally into it. You'd never run 2560 x 1440 at 100% scaling on a 14" screen, so anything you chose will be a compromise.

On my desktop, I run my 27" 2560 x 1440 display at 100% scaling, and everything looks fine to me. In fact, if I set it to 125%, 150%, 175%, they all look great. So I am interested to see what the scaling looks like on a 14" laptop display before I choose which model to get.

Maert
Punch Card
Views: 3,298
Message 87 of 594

I think there is some knowledge gaps about the scalling issues or lack of there-of on Windows. Here is a very brief overview:

Scaling in Windows 10 is application based. All or huge majority of Microsoft apps (so anything related to the windows configuration and daily usage and Office suite, Skype, etc) will work perfectly out of the box. A huge majority of modern applications (all browsers, all modern programming IDEs, all your Netflixes and whatnots) work perfect with scaling. The only realistic problem you could have with scaling is if you use some proprietary super old software that hasn't been updated in last several years. If you don't use that (majority of people don't), you will not see any app-related problems.

However, when people talk about realistic scaling problems, this is related when talking about TWO monitors. For example, you have your 4k laptop screen that is scaled 200% and external 1080p screen that is scaled 100%. This setup can sometimes have issues when you are moving windows from one monitor to the other, but even those problems have largely been fixed in last year or so. It can still sometimes bug out, and there are potentially problems when waking from sleep while connected like that, etc. But nothing that a simple unplug-replug won't fix.

All in all -

1. if you are using a single laptop screen and no super old apps - you will not find any scaling issues.

2. if you are using several screens with DIFFERENT SCALING LEVELS on each, then there might be some issues every now and then that are more of a nuisance than an actual problem (unplug-replug)

3. if you are using some old apps that don't support scaling, you might have actual unsolveable problems, regardless of your monitor setup.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,010
Message 88 of 594

@Maert Nice summary of the Windows 10 scaling situation Smiley Happy.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,006
Message 89 of 594

@dpazz wrote:

Bananaman how have you managed to get hold of the UHD model X1C7 so quickly? It's not even shown as being available on the US store?

It came direct to me from Lenovo, as mentioned in my original post.

layer9
Punch Card
Views: 2,922
Message 90 of 594

Bananaman, can you say anything about fan noise with your model? Furthermore, do you think an i7 will result in higher temperatures and more fan noise than an i5? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors