BE

25 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 1 of 29

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 - Speaker driver issue

2020-08-22, 13:34 PM

Hello everyone, 

So I've had my laptop for almost a month (received it on July 29th). A few days ago, a strange speaker problem occurred. While 20 minutes earlier, my speakers were working fine; when I got back on my laptop the sound had suddenly disappeared (both from the external speakers and when plugging in headphones). It seemed odd, but already happened the day after I got my laptop (July 30th) and back then, it resolved "on its own" with a "critical Windows update" (I guess the laptop needed some time to stabilize and make the required software updates).

However, I checked for updates (both on the Lenovo support page and on the Windows Update Center) but couldn't find any. At some point, I managed to find 2 audio updates:

• One for a USB Audio for Docking Station (done, but not relevant)
  • One to update the realtek drivers to version 6.0.8895.1 (I didn't check the driver version before making this update), which I've also done even though this update was released in April, so I guess the driver was already up to that version.

Anyway, neither of these updates solved my issue, I still had no sound nor updates on the Windows Center. I thus decided to uninstall the Realtek Audio driver (in the device manager), and when I powered my laptop back on, the sound was working and the driver version is now 10.0.19041.264.

Nevertheless, now whenever I look for updates in the Windows Update Center, it will consistently reinstall the problematic driver version (6.0.8895.1), hence leaving me with no sound and forcing me to uninstall the drivers (again) to get back to version 10.0.19041.264. Furthermore, the sound quality is now WAY worse than it was before. It cannot really be noticed when I'm using headphones, but the quality of the external speakers is really poor, which is noticeable... I tried tweaking with audio enhancements (which by the way are different with version 10 than with version 6) but the sound is still disappointing.

My point is: is there a way to "completely" solve this issue? I mean, it is solved to some extent but it's really not practical to uninstall the drivers each time I have to make an update; and I would like to get a good sound quality back.

Thanks in advance.

Options

29 Posts

08-22-2020

BE

25 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 2 of 29

Re:ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 - Speaker driver issue

2020-08-27, 22:26 PM

Upping in case someone also has this issue and to add as well that the integrated microphone is not detected. I will post a picture tomorrow to illustrate the devices that appear in my "recording devices" 

Really annoying and frustrating for such high-end laptops... Definitely considering moving to another brand the next time I need to buy a laptop. 

Options

29 Posts

08-22-2020

BE

25 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 3 of 29

2020-08-29, 19:47 PM

So here is what shows up in my recording devices. Basically I only have the microphone included with my headphones. No signs of Lenovo's quad array of microphones.

Options

3 Posts

08-26-2020

US

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 4 of 29

2020-08-30, 2:18 AM

Probably related to this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-8th-Generation-Internal-Microphone-not-recognized-Reboot-fixes-it-temporarily/m-p/5033735?page=2#5127860

There's one, 'driver hack' that was discovered on the German forums that might work. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-Gen-8-internal-speaker-not-working/m-p/5032642?page=1#5118216

I was considering trying it this weekend but I need the laptop to work on Monday and have a terrible work around already that I can trust. 

Options

29 Posts

08-22-2020

BE

25 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 5 of 29

2020-08-30, 8:08 AM

What's your terrible work around? :D

I'm not really a fan of the "German solution" since it consists in installing audio drivers meant for ThinkStations... It might be safe but I wouldn't want to damage my hardware in any way

Options

29 Posts

08-22-2020

BE

25 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 6 of 29

2020-09-03, 9:45 AM

Okay so I've been tweaking around with my drivers, and it seems that I've found precisely how to land in one case or another. I'll try to be clear.

1. No output sound but integrated microphone is detected: in the device manager, under "System devices", look for the audio controller device. If the audio controller is the "Intel(R) Smart Sound" one, then you should see the microphone array in your recording devices. If the controller is the "High Definition" one, then the microphone array shouldn't appear in your recording devices (and to get "Intel(R) Smart Sound", you should simply update the driver). Now that we've managed to get our microphone array back, a new driver should appear: the "Intel High Definition Audio". This driver will eventually install itself, leading to "Realtek(R) Audio" version 6.0.8895.1. The output sound should not be working. Even when uninstalling completely the "Realtek(R) Audio" driver, the reinstallation leads to the same audio version.
  2. Output sound but integrated microphone not detected: in the device manager, under "System devices", look again for the audio controller device. It should be named "Intel(R) Smart Sound". Update the driver by browsing your computer (second option) and select the "High Definition" one. The microphone array should now have disappeared (and you should also reboot your computer). Furthermore, the "Realtek(R) Audio" device (under "Audio, video and game controllers") should also be at version 6.0.8895.1. Select this driver and uninstall it completely. When reinstalling this driver, the version should then be 10.0.19041.264. The output sound should now work "fine" (even if the audio quality is very poor compared to the ones you should have with Intel Smart Sound), but you will need to plug an external microphone since the integrated microphone array is not detected. Furthermore, you should from time to time repeat the "uninstall-reinstall" procedure since Windows Update will always try to install the newest drivers (6.0.8895.1) which are not working.
Options

2 Posts

09-04-2020

SE

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 7 of 29

2020-09-04, 14:07 PM

i believe i have the same or a similar issue and it's driving me crazy. just a few days ago my speakers stopped working. i'm still seeing the speaker icon, and i can adjust volume up and down, but not getting any sound at all from the speakers. on the surface all looks normal. speaker drivers are all installed correctly, and i have the same realtek driver version 6.0.8895.1. microphone seems to be working as it responds when testing it in microphone settings or in skype (the bar jumps up and down to indicate it's listening). i've removed the audio devices from device manager, just to see them reinstall themselves . 

when i try to play for example an mp3 i get the following error. tried installing an additional codec pack but didn't make an difference. also when i try to play the test tone in speaker settings i get the error 'failed to play test tone'. 

if i connect my Bluetooth headset it plays no problem. including the mp3 and the speaker setting test tone. no idea what to read into this but hoping for a fix

Options

29 Posts

08-22-2020

BE

25 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 8 of 29

2020-09-04, 14:37 PM

Hey,

Similarly to your case, I also cannot test my speakers with that version ("cannot play tone"). If you want to get some sound out of your speakers, you might consider the workaround with the Intel(R) Smart Sound (under System devices) and switch it to "High Definition" (update the driver by browsing your computer), then uninstall and reinstall your speakers driver (Realtek(R) Audio); though you manage to get sound from your Bluetooth device so I don't know which case you prefer (I guess your Bluetooth speaker is better than the laptop's lol).

I check for new Lenovo updates every day or for at least a message from their support saying they recognize this issue... All I can see until now is that they recognized the BSOD. Anyway I'm "glad" to see others have exactly the same issue as I do.

Options

3 Posts

09-04-2020

GB

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 9 of 29

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 - Speaker driver issue

2020-09-04, 21:35 PM
Same problem on an X390 - driver version 6.0.8947.1
Options

2 Posts

09-08-2020

DE

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 10 of 29

2020-09-08, 20:37 PM

Hi everybody,

I've got the same issue on my brand new X1 carbon Gen8.

Update to 2004 was necessary because of some other issues.

Now, after some weeks the speakers stopped working. Support had no clue.

After a restore from a backup everything went well again. After an update 2 weeks later the same thing happened.

Actually the notebook is not usable.

Please advice.

Thanks.
Christian

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete