Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcham93 Microsoft MVP
Microsoft MVP
Views: 9,562
Message 1 of 35

ThinkPad X1 Carbon - Loose Clickpad Fix

FIX FOR LOOSE CLICKPAD

The clickpad is loose due to a screw not being screwed in tightly enough inside the unit. Follow the steps below to fix your problem.

1) Reboot the laptop into SETUP to first disable the battery. (Don't want to get shocked working on it!)

2) Turn the laptop off and flip it over so you can see the bottom, now remove all seven screws.

3) Open the laptop lid up and remove the keyboard/clickpad... a little force, but not much is needed.

4) Once the keyboard/clickpad is detached from the unit make sure to unplug the ribbon cable connecting it to the motherboard.

5) On the underside of the clickpad there should be 4 or 6 screws securing it, make sure they are all tight than test the clickpad out again.

6) Reasemble the computer by plugging back in the ribbon cable, clicking in the keyboard, and replacing the screws.

7) Boot the laptop up using an AC Adapter into SETUP to reenable the battery.

Done! 

*Note I am not responsible for any damage or loss of warranty you may cause to your machine.*

-Michael Archambault
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 9,477
Message 2 of 35

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon - Loose Clickpad Fix

Hi Mike

In this case, best to contact Service. Smiley Happy

Serene

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Former Administrator
Views: 9,365
Message 3 of 35

Michael,

Thanks for sharing the steps you took.   We will listen to see if anyone else notes a loose touchpad,  but suspect this may be a bit of an isolated case.   I would also agree with Serene that it may be best for most customers to contact service rather than tackling it themselves.  (at least as a brand new system under warranty)   

Good job though!

Mark

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,341
Message 4 of 35

@Marl_Lenovo,

I think it is not isolated: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thinkpad-edge-x1-x100e-x120e-sl-l/688053-thinkpad-x1-carbon-loose-cl... There are some posts with the same issue in this thread.

Here is also another post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Defective-X1-Carbon-dies-randomly/td-p/863699

"Got my X1 Carbon yesterday. Does have the loose clickpad."

Former Administrator
Views: 9,243
Message 5 of 35

Thanks,

I did see some of the discussion on NBR and we are looking into this.  We rechecked manufacturing, including torque settings on the screw drivers and proceedures to reconfirm consistency. 

Looking at an X1 Carbon that would be considered normal, I note that the portion of the touchpad nearest the user will move about a bit - perhaps more noticably than the touchpad design on my regular X1.   

Do you think this is what some people are seeing?

Mark

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,235
Message 6 of 35

I think some people have an issue like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfN752lZ8rY  Maybe it is more worse on some machines and better on some others.

zackiv31
Punch Card
Views: 9,228
Message 7 of 35

I received 2 units, my second one was 100% like that.  It was completely tilted, albeit in the other direction.

Opening it up and tightening the 4 screws on it solved it for me.

paul386
What's DOS?
Views: 9,209
Message 8 of 35

SonicDethmonkey
Punch Card
Views: 9,193
Message 9 of 35

I had two machines to compare. One was perfect and the other was terrible. The lower part of the touchpad had to be depressed really far to engage the buttons. I took it apart to check the screws and everything was tight as could be. I'm afraid it's not a simple case of un-torqued screws in all the cases, I think there is more at play here.

becme
What's DOS?
Views: 9,125
Message 10 of 35

The bottom of mine sits slightly above the deck, and requires a couple of millimeters of travel before it gets to the swtich.  So I get an audible click when it hits and then another when it really clicks.  It's worse on the right than on the left.  I don't know if that's the design (unlike anything I've ever used) or the tigtening problem.  

I wouldn't mind calling service if I had an onsite contract, but sending a brand new machine in to have a couple of screws tightened seems absurd.  m/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors