Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

09-25-2014

United States of America

15 Signins

113 Page Views

• Views: 113
  • Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad X1 Carbon hibernate auto resuming by itself and myriad of other complaints...

2014-12-10, 21:27 PM

At first I thought it was me, and I wasn't letting it hibernate all the way or something and so when I took my ultrabook out of the bag the next day, the battery would be very low (like 20%) and the red light would be on. Like it was sleeping. I am 100% positive I let it hibernate last night, and again today same thing happened. It's not always, just sometimes. **bleep**?! Why is this waking itself up  from hibernation when it's just sitting in the bag overnight? I'm not touching it.

Add this to the list of the many other bugs this thing has.

Including:

1. The first one I got had bad RAM and had to be returned. The second one I got had a bad USB port (critical when there is a measly 2 of them). Luckily the local Lenovo shop was able to just tighten down the plug and even luckier it was THAT plug and not the other one that is sodderd on the board which would have been a sent-back to fix. Nope. It'd be an "I'm done. Refund".
  2. There is no friggin PRTSCN button! (are you kidding me?) and even stupider, the 'hack' is a BIOS change that added ribbon [Fn]+T -- T?? really? P didn't seem like a good letter for PRINT!? da fuq is T for?
  3. The non-standard HOME|END where CAPS LOCK should be is irritating.
  4. Awesome that the keys are back-lit, HOWEVER, it's a MANUAL setting to turn them on. There is no sensor to detect if the keys should be lit up or not based upon ambient room lighting?!  you have to select it from the ribbon. It should have done both AUTO and/or MANUAL mode (like my Dell E6500 has done for 5 years now). And they don't 'time-out' or reactivate when you touch something. They're just OFF|DIM|BRIGHT -- that's it.
  5. the OneLink Dock has this bug that the 2nd display goes black a few times per day for a couple of seconds *sigh* -- many firmware and updates later and still no fix. seriously?
  6. Dongle for Ethernet. *sigh* come on man. Like I want to carry this little cable around everywhere.
  7. only TWO USB ports?! Where's the 3rd like most other ultrabooks
  8. NO SD card slot. Again, huh?
  9. NO HD drive light?! Why? Why would you skimp on a LED for this? Hell, re-use the power button LED to blink when HD activity if you must. This is just stupid. Luckily I found a great free tool called "DiskLED"
  10. Heavy -- compared to other ultrabooks, while this feels 'solid' it also weighs more
  11. The ThinkVantage Access Connections -- great idea -- horrible execution...
  • it's unbearably slow to cycle through the 2 LAN and 1 WiFi ports (I have a dock)
  • It gets confused and won't connect to WiFi many times
  • I wish it worked as well as it should, but ultimately just uninstalled it as default Windows7 connections work way faster and more seemlessly

At least it looks sexy and THANK LENOVO for having Windows 7 drivers.  "Windows H8" (hate) would have been a deal breaker from the start . Also while 2560x1440 SEEMS like a great idea, at this screen size, it is only a recipie for eye strain. I have to run it at 1920x1080 unfortunately.

If I had to do it over again, I would never have purchased this thing for the price and compared to others. I thought it would be the cat's pajamas but instead it's just a big pretty **bleep**.

Options

9 Posts

09-25-2014

United States of America

15 Signins

113 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon hibernate auto resuming by itself and myriad of other complaints...

2014-12-19, 20:29 PM

Just did it again. I powered on and there was some DOS looking screen (black with white text) that said something about recovery from a hibernate (or something like that) because the battery was critically low. I resumed it and the battery was at 5%. It was 100% when it went into the bag and hibernated. This is rediculous. Something is causing this to turn on -- what is it? And Lenovo needs to fix this bug.

Options

9 Posts

09-25-2014

United States of America

15 Signins

113 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon hibernate auto resuming by itself and myriad of other complaints...

2015-03-11, 19:08 PM

...And again I pulled out my X1 from my bag when I had hibernated it last night before leaving work and again it must have turned itself on and drained it's battery because when I plugged it in this morning just now, it had booted Windows7 from scratch and all the documents & programs I had running (hibernated) are now gone and I have to re-load them all up and the battery charge icon was at the far left (ie. drained).

Is there some kind of automatic self-diagnostics or windows update or something that is causing it to not actually hibernate? I can understand MAYBE if it were in sleep mode where it is kinda sorta running stuff in the background since it's all in RAM and using the battery to stay "asleep". But this is HIBERNATE -- it should be writing the RAM to disk and powering off until (and only until) I open the lid or push the power button on.

Is it possibly a design flaw and the lid is maybe popping open a little bit in my bag as I carry it and that's what is causing it? Can I disable the "turn on when lid is open" feature and force it to only use the power button?

Seriously this is beyond rediculous for such an expensive and "enterprise" notebook.

Options

773 Posts

06-20-2011

United States of America

4290 Signins

192161 Page Views

• Views: 192161
  • Message 4 of 6

2015-03-12, 16:29 PM

Did you check these "solutions" from MS?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

Quote>

• A hardware device might be keeping your computer awake. USB flash drives and USB mice are common devices that can keep your computer awake. Make sure that you have the most current drivers all of your devices. For more information, see Update drivers: recommended links.

To prevent a device from waking your computer

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to prevent from waking your computer, and then double-click the device name.

3. Click the Power Management tab and then clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box.

4. Click OK.

• A program or scheduled task might be waking your computer. By default, Power Option settings do not allow scheduled tasks to wake the computer from sleep or hibernate. However, some programs might awaken the computer if these settings have been changed.

To prevent programs from waking your computer

1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.

Are you sure that every device in the manager, is unchecked for "Allow this device to wake the computer" and all the "Allow wake timers" are disabled?

Plus, I would check out all of my third party programs (non-MS, such as Anti Virus updating, etc.), and view their auto scheduled tasks. Sometimes, these don't play nicely by MS's power plan's rules.   

Other those those hints, I haven't got a clue.

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Options

9 Posts

09-25-2014

United States of America

15 Signins

113 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2015-03-12, 21:01 PM

Thank you for the reply. I don't know if it's any piece of hardware as its all stock and I don't have anything plugged in to the USB ports (I use BT mouse).

I did however go through all the power saving settings to adjust them to sane values and some of them seemed suspect, so I'm hopeful they will work better now.

Options

83 Posts

02-21-2015

United States of America

209 Signins

1039 Page Views

• Views: 1039
  • Message 6 of 6

2015-03-13, 1:05 AM

So I haven't had anything as bad as you but I have noticed twice that the X1 changed my "Lid Closed" setting from sleep to on.  I'm guessing it was a Windows Update that caused the prior setting to disappear.  I saw the red light on the lid on both times even after shutting it so I figured it out and changed it back.  That said, if I hadn't caught it immediately and it drained my battery down in the meantime, I'd have been super frustrated.

It sounds like (unlike me) your "Hibernate" setting is holding but something is waking the X1 up in your case.

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms