Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen2 Battery won't charge past 80% due to unaccessible setting in Vantage

2020-03-21, 21:30 PM

When I bought the laptop I thought it would be a good idea to cap the charging at 80% to conserve its life over time, but due to the horrible battery in the notebook I want to change the setting back to 100%. However, now when I try to change the setting, Lenovo vantage shows "The Lenovo Power Manager driver is not installed or working properly. Please run Windows Update to install the latest driver. You can also install the driver from [here]. After installation, restart your computer."

I have run windows update several times, and restarted. I have downloaded the driver from the link (ran as admin and even with compatibility settings) and the driver installer says that I already have the latest driver installed. I have even tried rolling back the driver. No avail. Finally, I was made aware that there is another driver relevant to the power manager, I have installed that and still can't access the setting. 

Is there a back-way to access the maximum battery charge? Because this program does not want to run. 

Windows 10. As an aside, the keyboard on this laptop is awful as it misses keystrokes (common issue), and the cooling lacks heavily. Very disappointing. 

Any advice?  

Options

2 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen2 Battery won't charge past 80% due to unaccessible setting in Vantage

2020-03-21, 23:18 PM

SOLVED: 

I fixed my own problem. I'm sure no one will find this but I'll post it regardless

1. open device manager
  2. find battery drivers (2)
  3. right-click and uninstall both (its okay they will be re installed on reboot)
  4. power down notebook and unplug AC
  5. important: flip the notebook over, unscrew the screws and take the back off (several small philips screws)
  6. find where the battery ties into the motherboard (a small cable with the end covered by a black square of tape)
  7. carefully unplug the cable and then plug it back in after a few moments
  8. re-apply tape
  9. re-apply back cover
  10. re-tighten screws
  11. plug in AC and power on
  12. If your PC won't let you log in just power it off and reboot (this happened to me, not sure why. Don't panic)

That's all!

This has been bothering me for months. 

Options

24 Posts

12-02-2018

Canada

68 Signins

407 Page Views

• Views: 407
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen2 Battery won't charge past 80% due to unaccessible setting in Vantage

2020-04-03, 0:08 AM

There is a setting in Vantage for exactly this. Open it up and select "My Device Settings", and then you will see this: 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms