Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

09-02-2015

France

25 Signins

206 Page Views

• Views: 206
  • Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad X1 Extreme gen 3 - Complete freeze and black screen while on battery.

2020-12-15, 14:46 PM

Hello Community,

This is really  a call for help, I don't know what is happening with the laptop... this machine means more extreme problems rather than extreme performances...

This bug seems to happens mainly while the laptop is running on battery. Basically, I was just letting a Youtube video, or online radio playing while working next to the laptop. After about 10 minutes, either the laptop completely freeze, nothing is responding, the audio or video stops all the windows are frozen, I can move my mouse, and still do right clicks, but it does not activate anything. It is either a complete freeze, or a black screen and I am forced to reboot.

I used the emergency reboot pin hole in the bottom if it would show any problems with the hardware, but so far nothing special, the laptop restarts fines.

I am totally lost... this my laptop for my work and it feels terrible to work wih an unreliable brand new machine.
Of course I have made all of my updates.

I made 2 posts already (which maybe target at the same issue), but no-one has replied so I feel pretty lonely with this problem.

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen3 - Random total freeze (>> reboot)-English Community (lenovo.com)

X1 Extreme Gen 3 - Lagging on «Second screen only» + lags on videos in general-English Community (lenovo.com)

I call for help!

Thanks

My config: ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen3 - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - 20TKCTO1WW - BIOS N2VET26W 1.11
Options

2 Posts

01-21-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 2 of 6

ThinkPad X1 Extreme gen 3 - Complete freeze and black screen while on battery.

2021-01-22, 1:33 AM
Wondering if you ever solved this?
Options

3 Posts

01-21-2021

Switzerland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:ThinkPad X1 Extreme gen 3 - Complete freeze and black screen while on battery.

2021-01-22, 8:13 AM

I have way more issues than you do... They're listed here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-extreme-gen3-issues/m-p/5061960

I think the only solution is to resend it and ask for your money back. With the huge amount of issues this model has I doubt it's easy to repair.

Options

11 Posts

09-02-2015

France

25 Signins

206 Page Views

• Views: 206
  • Message 4 of 6

Re:ThinkPad X1 Extreme gen 3 - Complete freeze and black screen while on battery.

2021-01-22, 13:05 PM

Hello,

I got it solved, i called the customer service and they sent a technician to check the laptop.
What he did was replace the motheboard and the battery to be sure this was no hardware related.

I also runned all the updates and uninstalled some softwares (IoBit softwares), I suspect something went wrong with the battery and power management.

Since then everything runs perfectly. If something goes wrong again, this may come from the Windows, because the technician noticed a lot of Windows errors in the event viewer.

My config: ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen3 - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - 20TKCTO1WW - BIOS N2VET26W 1.11
Options

2 Posts

01-21-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-01-22, 23:38 PM

Hey thanks for your reply!  I had the same problems in that my screen goes black, then the only way to restart would be to use the pinhole.  Very unfortunate!  

Thanks again!  I will return the unit and call it a dud.  Pretty sad because when it works, I really love the laptop!  

I think it’s great you made a post describing said problems.  At the very least, I can be a datapoint.

Cheers.

Options

2 Posts

05-23-2021

Mexico

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-05-23, 4:05 AM

I am completely unsatified with my 6 months old ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3. Do you know if there is money refund program? What do you recommend to me?

Here are some of the problems i've experienced:

1. Overheating with almost no activity. Anything can happen.

1. Overheating when you plug a monitor or a LAN conection.

2. Superoverheating with moderate activity. 

3. The fingerprint reader is a joke.

4. Constantly freezes.

5. Poor customer service. Even technicians have mixed feelings with the brand.

6. Overpriced.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms