Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
womble
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,268
Message 1 of 15

ThinkPad X1 Extreme new 1TB SSD intermittent faults

I installed a new 1TB SSD - Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8. Partitioned and formatted in Windows 10, everything seemed fine.

After a little use I started to get intermittent problems. Sometimes before Windows boots I get a  '2104: Detection error on SSD2 (M.2)'. 

Sometimes the drive disappears from Windows. Sometimes copying a file from the drive will hang and when I try to look at the file's security options in the file explorer I just see a red X and I can't see them. Crucial's Storage Executive sometimes shows the drive and says it is healthy. Other times it does not show up. Lenovo's system health check says there are read errors on the drive. 

I have reseated the card a couple of times to make sure the connection is sound.

Any ideas? I'm grateful for any help.

Julian

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,250
Message 2 of 15

Re: ThinkPad X1 Extreme new 1TB SSD intermittent faults

I have never used that drive, but I will make a general comment.  I have often had problems with NVMe drives on several machines, related to compatibility.  This is not just Lenovo machines.  My problems have been related to timing (like, I believe, yours) and ATA security (passwords).  I think the underlying issues are very technical in nature (above my pay grade), and not easily fixed.  A year ago, I spent days chasing down an ATA security problem and I finally gave up and resold the drive.  Now, for NVMe drives, I only use those that are certified  or recommended by the computer manufacturer.  My assumption on SATA drives was that they all work fine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
womble
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,172
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the answer.

I spoke to someone at Crucial who suggested there might be a fault with the SSD. I ordered a replacement of the same kind - Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD, CT1000P1SSD8. Same problem. In fact the drive worked fine until I ran the Lenovo hardware tests, when it failed the Read test and after that began not always mounting and the strange Windows errors e.g. Invalid MS-DOS Function. So either this model of SSD is not compatible with this machine as in the previous answer (probably the case) or there is a problem with my particular X1 Extreme.

Next I plan to try a SAMSUNG 970 EVO. 

I'd love to hear if anyone has successfully installed an SSD upgrade in an X1 Extreme and if so which SSD.

SteveNY
Paper Tape
Views: 2,126
Message 4 of 15

Had the same Crucial P1 drive in, same issues with it disconnecting and throwing errors.  Now it died and is not showing up any further.  I too curious if this is a drive issue or laptop issue.  I'm having the drive replaced with a different brand.  Going to try a samsung drive, but now I'm a bit skeptical all around.

womble
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,109
Message 5 of 15

This suggests it is an incompatibility with this particular SSD. Let me know how it goes. Mine arrives on Wednesday and I will report what happens here.

SteveNY
Paper Tape
Views: 2,082
Message 6 of 15

I saw that some lenovo's were having issues with m.2 drives and the bios.  So I went into mine looked around and upon exiting the drive came back online.  I didn't change anything or even save out.  

I'm thinking that Lenovo has a bios issue on their hands in regards to the m.2 expansion slot.

I read there was some suspicion that NVMe drives were to blame, so I'm trying a non NVMe m.2 drive from samsung. 

womble
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,030
Message 7 of 15

I installed a Samsung Evo 970 today. It passes the Lenovo Hardware tests - which the Crucial drive never did - and in my short tests copying and accessing files this evening has worked fine. I am hopeful. :-)

womble
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,966
Message 8 of 15

Still going strong. The Samsung Evo 970 seems to work well in this machine.
pete_falcone
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,931
Message 9 of 15

I use the 970 as my primary and the HP 920 as my secondary. Both drives perform well. It may well be a Crucial problem. I've had issues with Kingston, Intel, and Crucial SSDs in the past, which is why I avoid them as primary drives.
c_wolfe2010
Paper Tape
Views: 1,785
Message 10 of 15

I am also having the exact same issue with a new Lenovo P1 which is basically the same as the X1 Extreme. Same Crucial P1 1TB NVMe drive and same intermittent problem with this drive disappearing and getting the 2014: Detection error. Have to enter BIOS a few times to get it to re-detect. Has anybody had luck getting this drive to work before I go through the hassle of getting a new possibly Samsung drive?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors