Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheYves
Paper Tape
Views: 2,132
Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad X1 Extreme not charging

Hi

I bought a X1 Extreme last week and it's driving me nuts already. The notebook simply does not charge. When I plug-in the power adapter, Windows says that the power supply is plugged-in. But the battery status doesn't change, in both ways (it's not charging but also not discharging). It just stays at the current charging status for hours. I also have Lenovo dockingstation "ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock 170W" and it's the same problem.

After a research on the internet, I found the following article which actually helps, but only for a single charge. But as soon as I unplug the power supply again, I have to reboot again, turn of the battery in the BIOS and reconnect the power supply again.

[Admin note: link presenting security warnings in 2 browsers removed]

The drivers are all up to date (installed via Lenovo System Update application).

Does anybody suffer from this issue aswell?

Thanks for your help!

sirfins
What's DOS?
Views: 2,042
Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad X1 Extreme not charging

I have the exact same problem and also use the same docking station.

It was working fine a week ago and I'm guessing something with plugging it into different power chargers and outlets messed it up, but I'm not sure. Sometimes when the laptop is closed, the will charge, but never when it's open.

I tried chatting with support but it was worthless.

Would love any help I can get.

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 2,016
Message 3 of 8

I am sure you have checked the following but, just in case, make sure the Charging Threshold is set properly and also that you are not in Airplane Mode. Both settings are in Vantage,

TheYves
Paper Tape
Views: 2,011
Message 4 of 8

I've contacted Lenovo support and they sent me a DOA form. I've already habe a new device which is working without any issues. 

sirfins
What's DOS?
Views: 2,001
Message 5 of 8

Thanks all. I'm back to charging. I'm pretty sure it was because I was in airplane mode (ugh..), but I did a bunch of things so not 100% sure which one fixed it. 

Here's what I did:

1) Toggle Airplane Power Mode on and off in Lenovo Vantage (Vantage -> Hardware Settings -> Power -> Airplane Mode Off)

2) Disabled the battery via BIOS (Unplug -> Search -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Restart Now -> Entire BIOS mode -> Navigate to Power -> Select Disable Battery -> Once laptop shuts down, wait 30 seconds, plug back in and turn on)

3) Performed a Hard Reset by pressing the reset button on the bottom of the laptop for 10 seconds while powered off (shut down, unplug laptop, put paperclip into tiny hole on bottom of computer and hold for 10 seconds, plug back in, turn on)

Hope that helps someone with the same problem.

bergi9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,206
Message 6 of 8

2) Disabled the battery via BIOS (Unplug -> Search -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Restart Now -> Entire BIOS mode -> Navigate to Power -> Select Disable Battery -> Once laptop shuts down, wait 30 seconds, plug back in and turn on)

This one was the first thing I tested and it worked. Thank you.

Ater
What's DOS?
Views: 689
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

My charging was stuck in battery level 15%. I didn't dare to let it emty completly.

What I did was:

1, Normal Windows ShutDown, wait for it to finish

2, Unplug power cord

3, Press power button for 30+ sec (Lenovo logo showed up for a secound in the begining.), release the button

4, Plug power

5, Press power button again, now shortly (Normal power on)

6, Log in, charging has started.

Regards

Ater

korpiq
What's DOS?
Views: 209
Message 8 of 8

Unfortunately this does not work on my X1 Extreme. The only thing working so far has been disabling the battery via BIOS. Problem keeps reappearing. I just installed a BIOS update hoping it would help. Alas, no.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors