Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javapro
Punch Card
Views: 1,012
Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad X1 Extreme "Electrical" Noise

I got mine X1 Extreme back in December 2018 and it's been making this strange electrical type noise similar to how a regular hard drive sounds while it's plates are spinning. It doesn't sound like the fans. It is not really loud but it does vary in loudness. When it's at its loudest, I can hear it while typing in a quite room. Other times, I can only hear it if I put my ear next to the keyboard. I read some posts here about the coil whine. Is that it? Is it normal? Any way to get rid of it?

javapro
Punch Card
Views: 1,006
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad X1 Extreme "Electrical" Noise

Reading the following article I am quite sure the noise I have is the coil whine: What Is Coil Whine, and Can I Get Rid of It on My PC? - How-To Geek. I can only assume that there is no good way to get rid of it completely in this laptop or is there?

JustinSK
Paper Tape
Views: 926
Message 3 of 4

I have the same issue.  Not thrilled with this and another issue of freezing several times an hour.  I'm going to request a replacement tomorrow...  A lot of time wasted.

fateiswar
What's DOS?
Views: 217
Message 4 of 4

Hi, could you please share the result of the replacement? Have you resolved this issue? My X1E has the same issue but I'm not sure whether it's a feature of X1E or a bug of X1E. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors