Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-05-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 1 of 15

ThinkPad X1 Nano won't wake from sleep

2021-06-05, 21:49 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased an X1 Nano (i7 1160G7, 16GB, 512GB SSD) laptop and it is amazing, but I'm encountering a problem where sometimes I cannot easily wake the laptop. When the problem started occurring, it would either have a blue screen (not a BSOD, but just a plain blue-colored screen) or a empty, black screen. Interestingly, I could swipe my finger on the touchscreen display and see the input trails displaying correctly.

If I close the laptop lid and come back quickly to it, it will not have any problems. The issue occurs when the laptop has been idle for a while.

I did some research and disabled Connected Standby to enable Standby - S0 Low Power - Network Disconnected, verified through 'powercfg /a'. I'm not sure if this helped any, but now I am encountering a new error where the Wi-Fi does not correctly connect after waking from sleep. I think it is due to this change, but I think if I change it back, I might have issues with sleep again where I have to completely power the system off and turn it back on.

Also, I've heard people on the Internet talk about enabling the Linux sleep state in BIOS and how that should theoretically fix this issue, but I do not see it on the latest BIOS revision. I've updated through Lenovo Vantage to the newest updates and I manually installed the latest BIOS. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Options

5 Posts

06-06-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 2 of 15

Re:ThinkPad X1 Nano won't wake from sleep

2021-06-06, 1:17 AM

I've been having the same or very similar issue using this laptop and Windows 10.

I'll close the laptop to put it to sleep while I go do something, come back later (in this instance it was just 5-10 minutes) and open the laptop and the screen will be lit up, but just solid black. Because I'm using Windows 10, I have the Hello feature with face unlock and I can see the webcam light turn on and the IR light flashing so it's scanning my face and logs me in, but the screen remains black (but still backlit). I close the laptop, open it after a second or two to let it go back to sleep, and reopen it and the screen functions correctly.

From what you've said, it seems you might be using Linux and since I'm using Windows, this must be a hardware (or maybe bios) issue. It feels like it's gotten progressively worse since it started one or two weeks ago, which leads me to think it's a display cable failing.

If nothing comes of this thread and it continues to happen or get worse, I'll definitely use the on-site support/repair warranty that came free with my order and keep you guys updated, but for now I'll just wait and see if more have this issue or Lenovo comments on it.

Thanks for creating this thread, glad I'm not alone!

Options

3 Posts

06-05-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2021-06-06, 2:12 AM

Thanks for the response! I am actually using Windows 10, but I was just mentioning that there has been in the past, according to my research on other ThinkPad computers, a way to switch the sleep state from 'Windows' mode to 'Linux' mode. I am unsure if the newer laptops have this feature. Newer laptops usually use Modern Standby, but I wonder if finding a way to enable S3 sleep (Legacy) would fix the issue. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby-vs-s3

I've taken a look into Event Viewer, and it's tough to see what the issue is. I think it is a software issue -- particularly because I can see the touch trails on Windows when it happens, which tells me that at least the software is responding and the screen is displaying information correctly. I wonder if the system tries to wake from sleep but immediately returns back to sleep? I'm not super knowledgeable on this stuff, but hopefully a BIOS update or a patch can fix this issue. The laptop is perfect otherwise, but this issue is pretty annoying.

Anecdotally, when I let the laptop sleep with the charger connected for a pretty long while, remove the charger, and then attempt to wake from sleep, the problem seems to be more reproducible. I've only had the laptop for two days so I'm not confident about what is causing the problem.

Good to hear that I'm not alone with this problem! I even have Windows Hello enabled and it has done the same thing, activating the webcam light with a black screen. I figure it shouldn't be too hard to fix once enough people start reporting issues. Like I said, this laptop is perfect for me but the sleep issue is very annoying.

Options

5 Posts

06-06-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2021-06-06, 2:52 AM

Yeah, the laptop is really fantastic and I absolutely love it. A small hiccup for sure as it's not a big deal just a minor annoyance, so long as it gets fixed within a reasonable timeframe and doesn't get worse than it is now. Hopefully you're right and this is indeed a software issue and maybe this will get some attention from a Lenovo employee who can push this up the chain.

Here's to hoping those with this issue report it as well!

Options

3237 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

258 Signins

16370 Page Views

• Views: 16370
  • Message 5 of 15

2021-06-06, 16:28 PM

Hello everyone,

Greetings

Have you updated the BIOS and drivers thru the support site?
It would also help running diagnostics
Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

06-05-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2021-06-06, 18:47 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply! I am on BIOS 1.42 and EC 1.39. I have the latest updates through both Lenovo Vantage and Windows Update. I also ran a quick test in diagnostics and it passed. Smart Standby is disabled within Lenovo Vantage.

Options

5 Posts

06-06-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2021-06-06, 23:57 PM

Hello,

Yes, I've just checked for updates via Lenovo's Commercial Vantage application and through Windows Update, everything is the latest.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Options

91 Posts

07-15-2018

United States of America

205 Signins

1481 Page Views

• Views: 1481
  • Message 8 of 15

2021-06-08, 15:01 PM

I can tell you my X1Y4, and X1Y5 both have this problem for years. but X1Y6 doesn't have.

Once it happened, the only way to get it back to work is push the power button to do a forced restart. I believe the computer IS waked up but only the display is still sleeping.

I have been struggling with this issue since you published X1Y4,  I thought you fixed since X1Y5, but it is still there.

Everything is up to date, nothing solved the problem.

I believe this is a hardware problem related with Intel UHD graphic, so probably nothing can be done here (just like X1Y4 screen brightness issue, Intel finally published a new driver for kind of remedy, but the screen still is not 500nit).

X1Y6 doesn't have this problem, because it doesn't have intel UHD graphic, so I believe any of your laptops with intel UHD must have this issue.

@ Lorenzo_Lenovo wrote:

Hello everyone,

Greetings

Have you updated the BIOS and drivers thru the support site?
It would also help running diagnostics
Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Options

18 Posts

06-09-2021

United States of America

18 Signins

230 Page Views

• Views: 230
  • Message 9 of 15

2021-06-09, 5:09 AM

My X1 Nano running Windows 10 Pro has shown similar behavior, i.e.,sometimes I return to my laptop (I leave it plugged in all the time) and he screen is blank, but will not wakeup automatically (via IR camera) or if I touch a key.  I've found that when this happens, I can "fix" it by pressing the power button to force it into sleep (?) and then push the power button again.

I have all the latest updates.  I've tried using Vantage and disabled Device...Smart Assist...User Presence Sensing and/or Zero Touch Lock, but it still happens.  Device...Power...Smart Standby is off.  Device....Power...Airplane Power Mode...Automatic Detection is off.  I'm pretty sure I've disabled most everything "automatic".

Options

3237 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

258 Signins

16370 Page Views

• Views: 16370
  • Message 10 of 15

2021-06-09, 9:29 AM

It can be difficult to assume similar issues are prevalent on specific models and generation but rather best to isolate more on probable points of failure. Configuring custom power plan along with its advance option can help. 

Getting back to the concern of the original poster , see if Win+Ctrl+Shift+B can refresh the display.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms