cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panayotov
Paper Tape
Views: 1,307
Message 1 of 13

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 1st Gen (20FQ) - Touch screen doesn't work and isn't detected after Windows update

First, to make this absolutely clear: there isn't even an entry in Device Manager, as in "there's an unknown device". The touch screen completely disappeared as a device. Nothing detects it. Even the WriteIt app cannot start because it cannot detect touch or pen inputs.

Second, this happened approximately two months ago. Since many updates installed then I cannot tell after which one specifically it happened. There were Windows updates but also a ThinkPad BIOS v1.38 update through Lenovo Vantage.

After that the touch screen hasn't work and is still not working. That's two months.

Unfortunately I cannot rollback updates through Lenovo Vantage (and anywhere else for that matter). I can only rollback Windows updates but there are so many, it'll be very time-consuming and inconvenient.

I don't want to sound whiny and entitled but I still cannot understand how is it possible to have this issue for so long without any available resolution. Basically I cannot use the touch screen of a device which main selling point was the touchscreen.

Is there a way to do a hardware diagnostic that will tell me more? I tried browsing through the BIOS but couldn't find anything. I doubt it is a hardware issue because I've always been very protective with my machine and haven't abused its flexibility in any way. It's mostly staying as a normal laptop on my desk with the ocassional change of posture to bring the touchscreen closer to me.

I really hope something can be done. I cannot buy a new laptop just becaues of this issue.

GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 1,270
Message 2 of 13

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga 1st Gen (20FQ) - Touch screen doesn't work and isn't detected after Windows upd

Unless you updated to the latest Windows 10 feature update 1809 which had issues with ThinkPad hardware drivers (see if that is in your Windows update list), the likely culprit is the BIOS update from what I have read on this forum. Many have had BIOS and Touch Firmware updates break their touchscreen feature, generally requiring a system board replacement (and/or a touchscreen replacement) from what I have read.

Search this X forum for touch screen doesn't work on X1 Yoga to see all the posts. Google Advanced Search may be helpful for that.

panayotov
Paper Tape
Views: 1,238
Message 3 of 13

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga 1st Gen (20FQ) - Touch screen doesn't work and isn't detected after Windows upd

Thanks for replying.

My Windows 10 Pro is at version 1803 still. It's unfortunate that a BIOS update can require a touch screen replacement. I hoped there was a normal solution like for instance rolling back the BIOS version. I'll try it anyway.

I managed to find only one thread with the exact same problem as mine. Everything else is about different problems.

panayotov
Paper Tape
Views: 1,215
Message 4 of 13

Just an update. I sent my laptop for servicing. The touch display was replaced, marked as defective. How did it happen after the update is beyond me. Haven't seen anything like this before.

Good luck to anyone having this problem.

X1penuser
Paper Tape
Views: 1,175
Message 5 of 13

I have the same problem.  It was useful to read your comments. My computer isnt in warranty, so I got rejected from the repair request.  Did you end up paying for your repair?

rando305
Paper Tape
Views: 1,053
Message 6 of 13

I BIOS update shouldn't require a hardware replacement.

Lenovo pushed the BIOS update on me.  My machine is no longer under warranty.  I'm supposed to go spend a couple hundred dollars to replace a touchscreen because Lenovo screwed up the drivers?

joejoejoehk
Paper Tape
Views: 965
Message 7 of 13

mine isn't in warranty too. anyway to get the bios revert back or any hint / help is appreciated!!!

Julian_02
Fanfold Paper
Views: 808
Message 8 of 13

Downgrading BIOS doesn't help.
If you still want to try, older bios is available at https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS111756

joejoejoehk
Paper Tape
Views: 775
Message 9 of 13

it seems the bios has problem since 1.36 or so.

is there anyone has a working fix yet?  how to actually report to lenovo for the problem we get?

FowlJeff
Paper Tape
Views: 738
Message 10 of 13

This just happened to me. The Lenovo Vantage software informed me of several "critical updates." After installing, my touch screen is dead, and Windows now tells me my screen doesn't support it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors