cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jumperq
What's DOS?
Views: 6,720
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd: 45W vs 65W adapter?

I recently purchased a ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd (Type 20JD), and it came with a 65W adapter for USB-C (model 4X20M26268), there is also a 45W model through Lenova (4X20M26252), and numerous 45W and 65W slim travel adapters for Yoga models.  My question, can I use any Lenova 45W or 65W brand adapter with a USB-C cable?  I would prefer to use of the 45W or 65W travel adapters that have retractable plug, like the one for Yoga3...is there any risk? thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,694
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd: 45W vs 65W adapter?

I have never seen an adapter cable to go from a yoga 3 power cable to USB-c, but even if there is a physical adapter, I would guess that the answerr is no or I would be afraid to try.  The X1 Yoga gen2 USB-C power adapter can charge a 5V phone or a 20V laptop.  The USB-3 spec allows for multiple voltages and maximum draws.  I doubt any adapter would work.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/265832/how-does-usb-power-delivery-work-with-voltage...

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 6,614
Message 3 of 5

I wanted a different charger to use on the road and I wound up getting a third party (non-Lenovo) "RND 72W Smart Travel Charger with One Type-C (USB-C) Port and Three USB A Ports". The important part for me was that the USB-C port supported USB Power Delivery (PD) mode. It doesn't have a foldable (retractable) plug, it has a two conductor "shaver" type socket, and comes with a short power cord. I also have some US 2 prong AC plug adapters that fit directly into the "shaver" type socket, which I use in place of the cord depending on the location of the AC socket I'm plugging into.

This charger charges my X1Y 2nd Gen at the full 65 Watts just like the stock charger that came with it. It doesn't get hot (just warm). It also simultaneously charges my phone and my Kindle and my Bluetooth headset via the three USB A ports. I am very happy with it, and it has been serving me well for the month I've been using it.

There are a number of third party chargers for use with our X1Y 2G computers. There are smaller ones that are only rated for 45 Watts that will work just fine, though it will take longer to charge your computer than with a 65 Watt charger. Just make sure the charger supports USB-C Power Delivery (PD).

I can only "recommend" the one I bought, which cost $30 in white, or $35 in black.  You can check it out on Amazon here.

jaga23
Paper Tape
Views: 5,175
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for this info. 

I'm not clear though - if the X1Y comes with a 65W charger, why isn't that sufficient? Is it just a bit too large for travel?

jumperq
What's DOS?
Views: 5,170
Message 5 of 5

I was trying to buy second I got them for traveling. Yes, the 65 W is sufficient for power, I just wanted an alternate.

If helpful, I have since learned: it’s always safe to overpower the adapter, the laptop are only draw what’s needed; however, it can be dangerous to underpowered the adapter and risk insufficient power supply to your laptop.  So if you laptop is spec’s with a 65W power supply, buying a 75W or even 90W for example, is always safe; but, do NOT buy a 30W or 45W adapter for a laptop that requires 65W (unless charging your laptop when shut down, then I understand it’s OK).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors