Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
voxelv
Paper Tape
Views: 2,643
Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd Gen) - Intel Graphics Driver Update Needed

I've spent the last 7 hours trying to get my programs to work correctly, however it appears to be an Intel Graphics Driver issue.

4 (3?) programs I want to work:

Blender (open source 3d modelling)

Krita (open source painting)

libGDX (open source Java game framework, based on GLFW)

GLFW (open source C++ OpenGL library)

I've read: https://developer.blender.org/T51521

Which is the exact issue I have.

This is aparently fixed in a new driver from Intel, but Lenovo hasn't released it for the Thinkpad X1 Yoga (2nd Gen) yet.
Can those in the know please give an update for this?

Striker317
Token Ring
Views: 2,639
Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd Gen) - Intel Graphics Driver Update Needed

You can download it here

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27058/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-

You'll have to manually uninstall the lenovo driver first before installing the above driver

voxelv
Paper Tape
Views: 2,592
Message 3 of 8

The solution was a bit more of a hassle since directly installing the driver from Intel gave an error. Something along the lines of "This driver is not approved for your computer by its manufacturer".

I eventually got it to install by doing the following:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Right Click Display Adapters -> Intel HD Graphics
  3. Properties -> Driver tab -> Update Driver button
  4. Use the "List of drivers on my computer" option
  5. Set to Microsoft Basic Driver. Note, your graphics may now be quite wonky because they aren't using the GPU...
  6. Install the new driver from Intel.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Done!
bbreeze25
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,337
Message 4 of 8

Hi,

i was wondering if someone else had same issue. The proposed solution of updating/uninstalling the current driver with replacing it with basic windows driver and then installing over the latest intel driver didn't help.

Striker317
Token Ring
Views: 2,311
Message 5 of 8

@bbreeze25 wrote:

Hi,

i was wondering if someone else had same issue. The proposed solution of updating/uninstalling the current driver with replacing it with basic windows driver and then installing over the latest intel driver didn't help.

Are you having the same issue as described in https://developer.blender.org/T51521 as per the OP or are you having a different issue?

Drewsome
Punch Card
Views: 2,023
Message 6 of 8

I have an X1 Yoga 2nd Gen and the Oct 18 graphics driver update disabled both my screen and my HDMI port.  I was able to get something going using a USB-C dock and an external monitor.  I also tried the intel driver installer and got the error "This driver is not approved for your computer by its manufacturer." This suggested fix of rolling back to the basic driver, then upgrading to the Intel driver, was the only thing that worked.  Thanks!

Now I need to find a way to prevent another auto-update of the driver, which has happend two me twice in the last week, killing my display both times. Smiley Sad

Drewsome
Punch Card
Views: 2,004
Message 7 of 8

Update: The system "helpfully" updated my driver to the latest (non-working) version again right in the middle of of a job I was doing. I lost all graphics and it took 3 hours to locate a monitor and cable so I could roll the driver back and restore my display.

How can I prevent it from being so "helpful" again??
Striker317
Token Ring
Views: 854
Message 8 of 8

Sorry for the late reply

How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

The paragraph starting with the following and onward is your answer

To temporarily prevent the driver from being reinstalled until a new driver fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface to hide and show Windows updates and drivers for Windows 10. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors