Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scsh4
Paper Tape
Views: 176
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen & Thunderbolt 3 Dock Not Connecting

We have standardized our deployments to ThinkPad X1 Yogas, and in many case including this one, they are the second generation model. Because of the performance, we use the Thunderbolt 3 Dock, purchased directly through Lenovo. This setup is not unfamilar to use as we have deployed over 40 workstations in the same configuration.

This morning, our team received a call stating that an end-users monitors weren't working. Upon reviewing, we found that the dock wasn't being recognized by the laptop, although the connection was there because it was charging the laptop. We went through the normal "rinse and repeat" steps of ensuring that the thunderbolt cable was connected to the correct ports on both the dock and the laptop, removing the connection, removing the power, rebooting the computer, reintroducing the dock, etc., but to no avail. We remove the dock from known devices hoping that it would spark it to recognize a new device, but it didn't. We removed the Thunderbolt Software completely, reinstalling it, and then reconnecting the device, and still, nothing. Our devices are set to automatically install critical and security updates both through Lenovo Vantage and Windows Updates, but, the only change made between the time it was working and the time it stopped working wasn't relative to the dock. To be sure, we rolled back the updates, then rolled back farther, but it still didn't resolve the issue. We then followed through with installing all Windows and Lenovo updates: critical, optional, and recommended. This, again, did not resolve the issue. I read where updating the Intel Management driver worked for someone, but we couldn't replicate the success.

At this point, I'm unsure of what to do. We know that it's local to the computer itself as we moved the laptop to another docking station and it wouldn't recognize a different dock either. We even went into the UEFI settings to reduce the security for Thunderbolt devices, temporarily, and it didn't change anything for us.

My next step is to restore the laptop back to factory settings and start over, but I'd strongly prefer not to do that. Has anyone experienced this issue? I can say that when I connect the dock, the dock light changes colors, knowing it's connected to and charging the X1 Yoga; the laptop charges as well. We get no connection to external monitors, ethernet, USB devices, or anything connected to the dock. In the Thunderbolt software, prior to removing the known docking device, it showed up as disconnected.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 170
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen & Thunderbolt 3 Dock Not Connecting

Hi scsh4, You didn't mention dock firmware. There was a recent update with quite a few fixes and changes. Note the install instructions, it's not the usual:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS506115

Also I'm assuming the ThinkPad end is all up to date with latest firmware and driver?

I find that a lot of ducks have to be in a row for the Thunderbolt 3 docks to work. Ducks for docks!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
scsh4
Paper Tape
Views: 158
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen & Thunderbolt 3 Dock Not Connecting

Just used another Lenovo X1 Yoga 2nd Gen to connect to the dock and run this FW update, but it didn't resolve the connection issue with the original computer.

The computer I used to update the dock firmware worked before and after the FW update, which leads me to believe that there is something not right with the original X1 Yoga.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors