Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sender
Blue Screen Again
Views: 842
Message 1 of 16

ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd gen) semi-transparent black bar of death on OLED

A week ago, a light darkened bar appeared at the bottom left of the screen. In the beginning it was only visible on white backgrounds. It is gradually getting worse. The black bar is now visible on any color that isn't dark. (AKA the entire internet)

It's also flickering to a more or lesser degree most of the time.

Has anyone encountered this before?

System Specs

- X1 Yoga (2nd gen) OLED edition

- Intel© Core™ i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz × 2

- 16 GB Memory

- Intel HD Graphics 620

- OLED 2560 x 1440 Display

jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 770
Message 2 of 16

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd gen) semi-transparent black bar of death on OLED

I have exactly the same problem, which appeared yesterday. Here is my post: https://goo.gl/HVHyyk

I contacted a Lenovo support agent, and they asked me to return the computer for repair. So I will send it to Lenovo.

Sender
Blue Screen Again
Views: 755
Message 3 of 16

Thank you for letting me know. It is indeed similar, including the horizontal fade. Feels better to know this problem is not unique.

Did they tell you anything more? Like a hint as to what they expect the problem to be?

I'm wondering if this is as simple as re-seating a cable. Because I bought this ThinkPad X1 Yoga in the US, and I am currently in Europe.

I'm not sure if they will allow me to have the US-bought laptop serviced in Europe. I'm also worried I have to miss my laptop for weeks.

Lastly I'm curious if this happened randomly, or soonish after upgrading your BIOS? I had upgraded my BIOS prior to this issue. Might be totally unrelated but I can't be sure.
jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 748
Message 4 of 16

Q: Did they tell you anything more? Like a hint as to what they expect the problem to be?

A: No, they didn't explain anything. After I told them the problem, they asked me to return it. As for repairing the computer in Europe, I recommend you consult a Lenovo support agent at https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/PDChat

Q: I'm curious if this happened randomly, or soonish after upgrading your BIOS?

A: I guess this problem is irrelevant to the BIOS, because I didn't upgrade my BIOS before the grey bar appeared.

jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 671
Message 5 of 16

Update: Due to no parts for the OLED display, Lenovo case manager offers a non-OLED X1 Yoga 3rd Gen with the similar specs. I accept the offer.

LeoLaw
Punch Card
Views: 607
Message 6 of 16

Did they offer the HDR WQHD version? I am having the same issue tonight with my X1 Yoga 2nd gen. I topped out the spec when I purchased and I did fall in love with the OLED over the past year....until now!!! 

Worst thing is that mine is out of warranty for 2 months.. Just contacted the support and see what they will do with this. Glad to hear that I am not alone with this issue.

jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 605
Message 7 of 16

Yes. Here is the display of my new unit:

Display Type: 14.0" HDR WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS multi-touch with Dolby Vision, 500 nits 

LeoLaw
Punch Card
Views: 601
Message 8 of 16

now that my warranty is expired...let me see what they are going to offer to amend this issue...will update you guys...if interested.

definitely can't recommend lenovo to others anymore...urghhh. my old thinkpad have lasted for more than 12 years. This one...not even 2 years..

LeoLaw
Punch Card
Views: 598
Message 9 of 16

How did you contact the Lenovo Case Manager? Is it through Contact Us and then "Submit a Service Request"?

jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 595
Message 10 of 16

I consulted a Lenovo support agent through Live Chat at https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/PDChat

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors