Did you mean: 
LeoLaw
Punch Card
Views: 230
Message 11 of 16

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd gen) semi-transparent black bar of death on OLED

what country are you in? Doesn't seem to be available in the US:

Welcome to Lenovo Live Chat

Thank you for contacting Lenovo. Unfortunately, Chat support is not available in your country at this time. Please try again later, or you may choose a different channel to contact us.
jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 230
Message 12 of 16

After you describe the problem, the agent will give you a case number.
jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 227
Message 13 of 16

I'm in the US. Well, I guess Live Chat is not available 24x7. Maybe you can try it tomorrow at working hours.

jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 215
Message 14 of 16

Yeah. The OLED display issue is definitely a hardware defect, given the issue appeared in around 1 year and the increasing number of reported cases.
LeoLaw
Punch Card
Views: 193
Message 15 of 16

Update:

Reported my case on technical support, but they didn't want to follow up because my warranty is 2 months beyond expiration date. Called the customer support to escalate the issue, and the rep spent half an hour arguing that my warranty had expired and he could do nothing further. He gave me the 2 options: 1) Charge me $85 to have my X1 shipped to the "Depot" and inspected. If it can be fixed, the $85 will be applied toward the final bill, or 2) Bring the X1 to a service center (myself) and get it inspected to see how much it would cost to fix it. After listening to both options, I was furious. I spent 2k+ (OLED + 1TB SSD + 16GB)  for this, hoping that it will last for a long time just like my old ThinkPad (but now that IBM has sold the ThinkPad brand to Lenovo, the quality is definitely not up to par anymore), but was treated like the person in fault. I refused to hang up, even though the rep repeatedly reminded me that the warranty had expired, and explained to him that the machine was defective in the first place, so the onus of amending the issue should be on them. How dare that they want to suck out more money to cover their own QA problem. Combing through different forums (People on Reddit also have similar issue with their OLED display. See the ThinkPad sub-reddit), it appears to me that I am not the only person who is having this OLED screen issue, so this is definitely a widespread case that Lenovo is trying to hide. People who have given this machine high rating have been fooled. Your X1 will not last as longer than you thought. The rep's supervisor has escalated the issue to another department, and let's see if they can do the right thing. I encourage everyone who has this issue to come forward and share your pains, so that this can be properly addressed.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Sender
Blue Screen Again
Views: 145
Message 16 of 16

I've made a video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkPpSG9D36U

No matter what country I pick, I can't seem to get any Live Chat "for this product".

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/PDChat

Screenshot from 2018-11-01 15-23-00.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors