Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zed2X
Paper Tape
Views: 7,728
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Mini Ethernet Connector

My questions are...

• Is this a gigabit Ethernet connection?
  • Does this laptop come with the mini to full size adapter?
  • How do I order the adapter?
  • Is there any big advantage to using this mini Ethernet connector over a common USB to Ethernet adapter?*

* I realize it won't require using a USB port and apparently the "Wireless Auto Disconnection" feature only works with this connector, but that's not a very big advantage IMHO.

Details

According to this manual...

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1yoga_3rd_sg_v2_en.pdf

...on page 6 number 9 in the list of laptop ports is a "Mini Ethernet connector".  Page 2 of the same manual says that some models come with a "ThinkPad Ethernet Extension adapter".  It doesn't say if the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen is one of them.  Notice the name of the PDF file is "x1yoga_3rd_sg_v2_en.pdf" so I'm pretty sure this is the correct document, it's just kind of generic apparently and applies to multiple X1 Yoga generations.  I didn't find any answers in the user guide either...

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tp_x1yoga_ug_en.pdf

The only adapter I could find is the Lenovo 4X90F84315 ThinkPad Ethernet Extension Cable, but is it compatible with the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen?  The Lenovo site has this cable but only the X1 Carbon is mentioned in it's description.  Staple's sells the same adapter and it also only mentioned the X1 Carbon.  Amazon has the cable and in the questions section a few users indicate it's compatible (at least with the 2nd gen anyway) but the seller says no, it isn't compatible with any Yoga.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,720
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Mini Ethernet Connector

Hello and welcome,

Just going on what I read:

From the base spec:

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Think%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/ThinkPad%20X1%20Yoga%20(3...

"Native Intel Ethernet Connection WGI219-LM (vPro) via optional ThinkPad Ethernet Extension Cable"

https://ark.intel.com/products/82185/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-LM

"Data Rate Per Port 1 Gbps"

From the sales site:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-yoga/ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen/p/22TP2TXX13Y?...)

"Ethernet Extension Connector (Dongle for Native Ethernet sold separately)"

And from Accessory Smart Find:

http://accsmartfind.lenovo.com/products/4X90F84315:

"...X1 Yoga 3rd Generation... 20LE, 20LF"

The Google turns up multiple sources for 4X90F84315 including Lenovo and Amazon.

As to advantages?  Depends on your use case.  As you said, doesn't burn a USB port.  Doesn't require a special driver - although that's probably not much of an issue for USB adpters.  Maybe with non-Windows OS-en.  Can do PXE boot if that's important.

As I said, I'm going on what I read in the above.  Please confirm before purchasing.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Zed2X
Paper Tape
Views: 7,705
Message 3 of 5

I now believe that the ThinkPad Ethernet Extension Cable, part number 4X90F84315, is compatible with the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen(#20LD,20LE,20LF,20LG).

This leaves the following questions unanswered...

• Is this a gigabit Ethernet connection?
  • Does the laptop come with the adapter?

Details

I found this not long after I created this post...

Ethernet adapter for X1 Yoga 2018

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Ethernet-adapter-for-X1-Yoga-2018/m-p/4052474

The above post references a compatibility matrix which is an XLSX (i.e. Excel) file.  I was able to open it with Open Office, but FYI it was extremely slow to load.  In the TP X tab column C it lists the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen.  Row 589 lists the ThinkPad Ethernet Extension Cable part number 4X90F84315 and the X in column C indicates it is compatible (I assume).

The cable sells for about $20 US and is available on Lenovo's site, Amazon, Staple's, etc.

Note: I think it's odd that Lenovo doesn't list the compatible components on the laptop's sales page.  Seems like the obvious thing to do...  Why did I have to dig so hard for this information and then had to download an Excel file for the answer?  Also, why doesn't any of the documentation make it clear if the mini Ethernet port is gigabit (or not) and if it comes with the laptop?  I also had to go to a lot more effort than I should have to find the PDF manuals.  Those links should be on the laptop's sales page too.  Sheesh...

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,701
Message 4 of 5

As I posted above "sold separately" and "Data Rate Per Port 1 Gbps".

I was sure it was GigE but since the tech specs didn't specifically say so, I linked the laptop's Intel chip spec.

The dongle is entirely passive, it just converts the proprietary GigE port's pins to standard RJ45.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Zed2X
Paper Tape
Views: 7,699
Message 5 of 5

Thank you very much for your reply!

You must have posted before I was able to answer one of my own questions, which you answered as well.

So it looks like you've answered all of my questions.

• It is probably gigabit (I assume it is)
  • The adapter does not come with the laptop
  • 4X90F84315 is the correct adapter

I didn't notice the "Compatibility" link on the ThinkPad Ethernet Extension Cable page before or the "sold separately" on the laptop's sales page, so that's totally on me not being observant enough.

The last question was mostly about should I worry about buying this special adapter or should I just buy a USB to Ethernet adapter and move on with my life?  At $20 I think the Ethernet Extension Cable is a little overpriced, but the "disable the wireless on  wired connection" feature is probably worth it.  I've pulled my hair out a few times trying to figure out why something wasn't working only to discover that I had the wireless on and connected to an Internet only wifi source and the Ethernet plugged in to the internal LAN.  Plus an extra $20 on a $2,000 laptop probably isn't that big of a deal.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors