cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eceo
Serial Port
Views: 1,392
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen2 does not Restart, requires hard power off. Stuck at Lenovo boot logo.

Two ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen2 TabletPCs will successfully boot into Windows 10 just fine from a hard poweroff.  

But once in windows, if i choose Restart, it will hang at the "LENOVO" BIOS  level boot up logo with "To interrupt normal startup, press Enter".  

20180526_165027195_iOS.jpgStuck at Lenovo BOOT BIOS initialization screen, right before handoff to the Operating System. "To interrupt normal startup, press Enter"

At this point, pressing ENTER does not work.

CTRL-ALT+DEL causes the screen to change shade for a moment, but effectively does nothing.

Changing the UEFI settings to diagnostics results in black screen.

Holding the power switch to force a poweroff, waiting a few moments, and then powering on results in a successful windows startup.

DevMGMT.msc does NOT see bluetooth and there is "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" entry under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".  I have run all automatic updates via "Lenovo Vantage" and the manual TPM update.  

I can boot into the firmware setup and have had it revert to factory defaults and reverted to factory defaults for all security settings.  

I even tried the Win10 repair startup problems, but it says it cannot fix this.  

RestartFails-TPX1Yoga2ndGen-2018-05-26.png

jack860
802.11n
Views: 1,342
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen2 does not Restart, requires hard power off. Stuck at Lenovo boot logo.

It looks to me like you have a faulty hardware issue or a serious driver issue.

Try the Lenovo recovery to put the device back to the factory windows install.

If that fails, I would think you have a hardware issue.

eceo
Serial Port
Views: 1,328
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen2 does not Restart, requires hard power off. Stuck at Lenovo boot logo.

Would you believe it was bluetooth drivers?  The Lenovo updating software missed this altogether.  Unimstalling all the usb and bluetooth and rebooting and then installing bluetooth fixed it.   Have restartef multiple times since.  

Maybe there were unsigned drivers in the mix or more likely Win10 has had a history of deleting the wrong drivers during updates and borking machines. 

Lenovo sent hardware automatically but it is going back.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors