07-30-2020

GB

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen5 - No Audio

2020-07-30, 17:52 PM

A minor Windows update knocked the microphone out previously and I followed a guide to reinstall the sound drivers and it appeared again.  

The big 2004 Windows 10 Update did the same thing and I managed to get it working again to same way.  

I left my laptop on Sleep mode last night and when I came to use it the microphone had again disappeared, and the sound wasn't working either. I removed all sound devices and installed drivers using the Lenovo System Update tool, and Device Manager shows everything installed correctly with no warnings, but the sound doesn't work. The microphone is detected and seems to register sound, but neither the speakers nor the headphone jack work. Windows lets me change the volume. Something like Spotify just immediately keeps changing to the next track without playing anything.  

If I pair Bluetooth headphones, sound works fine through them.  

I've tried countless attempts and uninstalling sound drivers and reinstalling, punctuated by various reboots.  

Can anyone help me?

Solved! See the solution
Options

1 Posts

07-30-2020

GB

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen5 - No Audio

2020-07-30, 19:37 PM

I managed to fix the problem. No amount of Uninstalling the Realtek Audio device and reinstalling the Lenovo drivers seemed to fix the problem. Not even inverting the .bat file that comes with the drivers to forcibly remove them.  

In the end, while looking through the Readme.txt that accompanies the audio driver download, I found a section on Uninstalling that looked more detailed than what I was doing. It's got a few typos and is missing a step but I've linked it below, for anyone else that wasted hours trying to find the solution:  

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2wa111w.txt

To replicate exactly what I did, you'd need to install the Lenovo provided drivers from a fresh boost  then reboot again before following the Uninstall section of the linked file above.

When uninstalling any of the components, I clicked the checkbox to also remove any accompanying software, even when the guide didn't explicitly mention to do so. May not have been required, but I did it anyway.  

The final components in the list are found under the System Devices section.  

Once the last item is removed, immediately reboot the computer.  

On booting the correct drivers then seemed to be installed, but the Dolby Atmos functionality wasn't working. A final reboot once the new drivers were loaded cured that. It's now back to normal.   

I hope this helps someone and saves them the hours I spent pulling my hair out on a brand new laptop that is otherwise (and is now once again) brilliant.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

08-02-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 3 of 3

Same problem and I solved it. Maybe this works for you. Re:ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen5 - No Audio

2020-08-02, 1:08 AM

Hi,

I just want to share my experience with my brand new X1 Yoga Gen 5 that I just received 2 days ago.

As I was experiencing the same issue of No Audio Device installed few minutes before I found this thread.

After I read the 1st reply above, I realized that there might be a corrupted registry somewhere because before I installed all anti virus and other programs to my laptop, the speaker was working fine.

My first suspicion was either the anti virus is removing something or the CCleaner cleaned up some registries as I ran it earlier.

I went to by CCleaner registry backup folder, right click on the last registry backup file and click MERGE.

The speaker still showing same problem.

But after I restart the laptop, voila... the speaker went back up as normal.

So check if you did something that might take away the registry.

I am not sure which registry that got deleted but this means I have to be careful and check everything.

At least my speaker is alive again.

Hope this helps.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete