Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-23-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen5 overheating and noise

2020-08-23, 21:42 PM

Hi there, my new laptop runs hot and makes a lot of noise with minimal activity. Is there any support available to confirm there is no hardware problems with it. Thank you 

Options

8939 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77727 Signins

2224730 Page Views

• Views: 2224730
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen5 overheating and noise

2020-08-24, 3:14 AM

Mine runs cool and quiet.  Does Task Manager show any processes using a lot of CPU?

?

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

2 Posts

08-23-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-08-31, 15:57 PM

That's what I would expect for the specs! But no- I check the task manager every time that happens and CPU usage is rather low. Sometimes after charging both the charger and the laptop are very hot.  I have concerns over any faulty battery or other hardware...

Options

1 Posts

01-21-2021

Canada

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-01-21, 18:10 PM

I purchased this machine in June 2020 and found the same problem - after about 45 minutes of use, the fan runs really high and the machine slows down dramatically, to the point where I cannot do basic functions. I believe it is because a poor design choice of the location of the underside fan vent. When the laptop is made to sit flat on a desk (as I have it when it is docked), the little rubber feet do not provide enough clearance for proper airflow. I purchased a laptop stand that allows venting, which solved this problem - no slow downs. However, the problem recurs when the laptop is used in tablet form, because the vent is once again blocked by the back of the screen! Horrible design for a laptop that I paid nearly $3,000 for. When I first complained about this, Lenovo didn't contact me to troubleshoot anything - instead, they sent a technician to replace my fan. I knew this wouldn't do anything, but apparently that is always their first fix. Now, because I use the machine in tablet mode more often, I find that the issue recurs. I am trying to get Lenovo to address this - if it is a design issue, they really need to replace my machine with something more usable.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms