09-08-2020

AU

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad X1 fan noise

2020-09-08, 23:30 PM

We have purchsed 2 Lenovo ThinkPad X1 to test for our organisation, we are looking at replacing our ~200 Dell 2-in-1's with these, the one thing I am finding really annoying is the fan noise on this thing, especially when plugged into the dock, it always seems to be running at full speed. I'm not even doing anything resource intensive, just a few tabs in the browser and Outlook open... I've tried running a full system/driver update, still the same thing. Is this common with these machines?

Options

8477 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77376 Signins

2200464 Page Views

• Views: 2200464
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:ThinkPad X1 fan noise

2020-09-09, 0:13 AM

@ DeanCRC wrote:

We have purchsed 2 Lenovo ThinkPad X1 to test for our organisation, we are looking at replacing our ~200 Dell 2-in-1's with these, the one thing I am finding really annoying is the fan noise on this thing, especially when plugged into the dock, it always seems to be running at full speed. I'm not even doing anything resource intensive, just a few tabs in the browser and Outlook open... I've tried running a full system/driver update, still the same thing. Is this common with these machines?

X1 Yoga or Carbon, and which generation?

I have three Yoga generations - 1, 4. and 5 - and don't have fan noise issues.

[edit to add] Have you had a look with Task Manager to see if something is burning CPU cycles in the background?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

09-08-2020

AU

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2020-09-09, 0:45 AM
It's a X1 Yoga 5th Gen (Type 20UC). Yep there's nothing burning CPU, it only seems to be when it's connected to the dock.
Options

8477 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77376 Signins

2200464 Page Views

• Views: 2200464
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-09-09, 0:58 AM

What dock?  I use my 5th Gen in a side dock 40AH and it just sits quietly most of the time.  Fan spins up when running updates and the like.  Otherwise not.

What's your power mode?  Mine's "Better Performance" midway on the slider in the MS battery icon.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

09-08-2020

AU

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-09-09, 1:14 AM
The bottom of the dock says 40AF and my battery mode is set to Better Performance also. I just used it in a meeting room and it was fine, as soon as i've just gotten back to my desk and plugged it in it took about 30secs and the fan is back to spinning high now.
Options

4 Posts

09-08-2020

AU

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-09-09, 3:02 AM

I just tried going into the BIOS and changing Adaptive Thermal Management > Scheme for AC from Maximum Performance to Balanced and that hasn't helped :(

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete