Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ved
Paper Tape
Views: 1,549
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad X120e screen is dark

Specifications: X120e, model: 0596-2RU, OS: Windows 7

Hello, my Thinkpad screen went dark all of a sudden. When I connect laptop to external monitor through VGA, I can see my computer, so the graphics card is OK, right? When I bring a flashlight close to the screen I can see my computer although very very dim. I replaced the screen with a new screen but still same problem. I read in the forums that the LCD inverter might have gone bad, but then in the screen specfication they say that this screen does not need an inverter. I am completely confused as to what might be the problem? Help anyone!!!

-Ved

GLaDOSPulse
SCSI Port
Views: 1,521
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad X120e screen is dark

Connect AC adapter to see if it helps? Check the power settings too for anything power related to the LCD.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,512
Message 3 of 5

There is no inverter to break. (LED backlight) My guess is that a fuse blew on the motherboard

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ved
Paper Tape
Views: 1,491
Message 4 of 5

GLaDOSPulse - laptop battery is old and hardly holds any charge, so I am using AC adpater all the time, while the battery is in place. When I press Fn + brightness up and down, I see the brightness bar going up and down (laptop connected to external moniter) but hardly anything changes. Is it possible that the brightness is somehow stuck?

richk - is possble to diagnose which fuse blew and possibly replace it?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,462
Message 5 of 5

I don't know where the fuses are on that board, and I don't have one to look at. I just tend to peel back the plastic and look for things that look like fuses near the LCD connector. There used to be a lot of standardization on the boards regarding designations (F2 was AC-in, F4 was fan, F7 backlight, etc.) , but the newer boards don't seem to have any conventions. In any case, you need fairly good equipment to change a fuse. A temperature-controlled rework station and a quartz preheater is the minimum. It is not a good job for your old college soldering iron.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors