Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peder1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,331
Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad X280: After BIOS update, notebook won't boot anymore

Hi,

I just bought the Thunderbolt 3 dock and remembered reading that you have to make some changes in BIOS for the usb hub to be detected in linux. So I entered BIOS and disabled thunderbolt security and enabled some other thunderbolt feature (the one below thunderbolt security, the tooltip tells you to enable this for linux support and older versions of windows 10).

After saving and rebooting all I see is a blank screen and the fans start going at full speed.

The computer does not boot into my OS and I am not able to enter BIOS again.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Is there a way to factory reset the BIOS without entering it? Usual solution here is to remove the CMOS battery but I really don't want to open my brand new laptop unless I know my warranty is still valid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator note: post was moved to the E forum based on original incorrect model in subject.  Subject has been corrected and thread moved back to X.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,312
Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad E560: After BIOS update, notebook won't boot anymore

It is not very difficult to remove the CMOS/Coin Cell battery on that system, just remove the main battery, and then loosen 3 screws to open the large bottom cover (see page 73 of the ThinkPad E560 and E565 Hardware Maintenance Manual for details on removing the cover)    Once the cover is open, unplug the CMOS/Coin Cell battery (you don't actually have to remove the battery), wait a few minutes and then plug it back in (see page 81 of the HMM for details).

Doing so will not effect your warranty, but don't force anything and keep track of the screws.

peder1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,305
Message 3 of 8

Re: ThinkPad x280: After BIOS update, notebook won't boot anymore

It's a x280, thought I entered it when I posted. Apparently I messed up somehow.

peder1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,303
Message 4 of 8

Found the maintenance manual for x280, hopefully I'll find something useful there. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

avishab
What's DOS?
Views: 1,768
Message 5 of 8

hello,

did you managed to find a solution without openning the computer, i have the same issue 

thanks, 

Avi 

Mifhein
What's DOS?
Views: 1,435
Message 6 of 8

Re: ThinkPad X280: After BIOS update, notebook won't boot anymore

That describes exactly the problem I have (and in fact the way it was caused, enabled some Thunderbolt options, the thing rebooted and then came back without displaying anything).

The hardware maintenance manual doesn't really help as the only way to reset the BIOS looks like removing the CMOS cell battery - BUT... it's impossible to disable the rechargeable battery without being able to enter the BIOS.

One thing, if I press F1 immediately after power on, it beeps just like it always did, so it may be entering the BIOS with no display - If I could figure out what keys to press to get to the "disconnect internal battery" entry (or even better, the "restore defaults" and then "save & exit"!), that may be worth a try... any suggestions?

GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 1,426
Message 7 of 8

The latest BIOS update, version 1.23, actually addresses this Thunderbolt issue. Probably too late now, but perhaps you can download the bootable CD version of this BIOS update, burn the image to CD, then boot the CD and install the update.

If you get a blank screen when booting the CD (which is probably what will happen), perhaps with the correct key presses the BIOS update would install. Sorry that I do not remember exactly which keys need to be pressed, and in what order. You do need to press F12 to boot from the CD.

https://support.lenovo.com/tw/en/downloads/ds502327

Highlighted
Mifhein
What's DOS?
Views: 1,404
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for that but it looks like it doesn't actually get as far as trying to boot from the SSD, or from CD. (I also tried booting from a USB stick which I know it can boot from - nothing either.)
So I guess anything which requires going past the initial BIOS screen (even if not shown) won't work.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors