Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmarinheira
Punch Card
Views: 341
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad X280: smart card reader and connecting cable

Hi all!

My X280 doesn't have the smart card reader, so I decided to buy it and install it myself (it is a pretty straightforward task).

Issue is that I found the part number for the smartcard, but no one can tell me the part number for the connecting cable.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

RM

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 321
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad X280: smart card reader and connecting cable

Hi rmarinheira,

Check out page #51 of the X280 Hardware Maintenance Manual. It shows that Smart Card Reader defined as a no-no component on CRU (Customer Replaceable Unit) table. That means you cannot add or replace it on customer's level, and thus hard to obtain FRU number for needed parts. You may have to contact Lenovo directly.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
Guru
Views: 315
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

I answered your question 2 weeks ago on your other post on where to find part numbers.  Did that not help where I said click "cables internal"?  Sorry if im misunderstanding.  The link has pictures of the cable when you drill down to the parts.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/ThinkPad-X280-Smartcard-reader-part-nr/m-p/43...

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

rmarinheira
Punch Card
Views: 310
Message 4 of 7

The smartcard reader part helped, but the cable does not showo up...
Guru
Views: 304
Message 5 of 7

I am still confused page 58 of the HMM shows the below as the cable.  Below that is the picture from parts lookup?  Is that not the part you are looking for?  Is there another cable I'm missing?

smart 2.PNGsmart.jpg

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

rmarinheira
Punch Card
Views: 246
Message 6 of 7

It seems to be it!

But in fact there are 2 cables, one with a derivation for the smart card connector, and another one with just the connectoro for the fingerprint reader.

Does that mean the X280 with no smart card reader will have the cable with just the connection for the fingerprint reader?

Guru
Views: 233
Message 7 of 7

Yes.  Thats why i thought your orignal post from 2 weeks ago was answered.  When you didnt mark it "solved" on the other  post I was confused because i gave you the information needed to get part numbers.

If this answer your original question please mark "solved" so it may help others.  Same with the other post.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors