Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OctopusTwo
Paper Tape
Views: 646
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad Yoga X1 Crashing on Battery Power

We have three Think Pad Yoga X1 (402KZLJ) 2 of which are experiencing the same crash.  See below image.

This crash only seems to occur when we unplug from battery - take machine to meeting - then within 10 minutes it usually crashes as seen in the below image.  Machine reboots.  Windows identifies the crash and notes a dump file.  Machine then runs fine for the remaining duration of the meeting.

The user does 'docks' (into a Display Link USB 3.0 hub) the machine.  At first we thought this was the issue.  So we repeated our tests with just plugging in battery power.  The crash occured again.  Granted the Display Link driver is still present - it now seems more releated to 'battery'.

This machine does not contain any Lenovo 'Power Manager'.  So if this needed... we don't have it.  At this point we are trusting windows power management.  I did read Lenovo Power Manager and Lenovo can conflict.

Each time the machine crashes it generates an dump file.  The dump file points to this file as being the issue 'dxgmms2.sys'.  Looking this up it is GPU.  This is fully patched.  We did an uninstall and reinstall of the GPU driver - twice.

We updated all the drivers (BIOS, firmware, wireless, etc.) for it from Lenovo and Display Link.  This is our second fresh install of Windows 10 Enterprise- both experienced the crash.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any other ideas?  Lenovo Power Manager needed?

LenovoCrash.JPG

lto
Paper Tape
Views: 583
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Yoga X1 Crashing on Battery Power

Hello,
yes, you're not alone...

I have here 2 x1 yoga, one is working fine, the other one has this error - plugging out power leads to a total crash.
I'm currently updating all Drivers, bios etc., but based on your experience that won't help...

I think I'll bring that machine back to Service.
OctopusTwo
Paper Tape
Views: 572
Message 3 of 6

Yes we spent 2 weeks working with Lenovo on this.  After multiple OS/driver reinstalls we decided to return all three machines.  Not sure what else you can do when you fully patch GPU/Power Managment.  Lenovo wanted to forward the case to software and support.  We only paid for hardware support so we were not intersted in spending more money with Lenovo Software support to fix a brand new machine.  We use a generic install of Windows 10 Enterprise so I am not sure what they would even find.

I agree with Lenovo hardware support something is wrong with battery/GPU driver/software but we will not be the ones to test/pay and resolve this issue.

lto
Paper Tape
Views: 547
Message 4 of 6

Hello,

just as information: I've had a technician from Lenovo here - replacing the motherboard.

While replacing he saw on the motherboard some connections, which looked for him broken/bad manufactured.

After the mainboard was replaced pulling out powercord did not crash the laptop, it's working now as expected. ;-)

So it seems the motherboard is the issue.

BR Stefan

OctopusTwo
Paper Tape
Views: 540
Message 5 of 6

Yeah we saw disk I/O errorsin Event Viewer. So we replaced the SSD. This had no impact. Then we saw the crash occur on a different machine. Then we saw it crash on new SSD. This led us down the driver/software path. The next day the crash occurred on the 3rd machine.

The chances of three machines having defective hardware to experience the same exact crash both on battery power? Perhaps poor quality? They probably were made from the same batch.

So it could have the motherboard.  We were just sick of fighting the issue on a brand new machine after 2 weeks and returned all three...

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 449
Message 6 of 6

The X1 Yoga has a setting in the Bios for power options. By default the on AC power setting is "Maximum Performance" and the on Battery setting is "Balanced" where it adjusts CPU performance to save power.

I noticed similar infrequent crashes like yours when on battery (1 even had similar screen artifacts) and checked the event log, both times there was 4 consecutive events about CPU throttling triggered by system firmware right before the crash. 

I just changed the setting for battery to "Maximum Performance". My guess is the "Balanced" setting isn't tuned correctly for certain CPU combinations. The laptop is usually plugged in and in use all day without issue so I don't think it can be a hardware problem since it happens only on battery.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors