cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X1CarbonOwner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,693
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad x1 Carbon left USB port not working.

I just bought a Thinkpad x1 carbon 2nd gen, 8 gb ram, 220ssd, i7-u4600 from ebay, everything was fine except one big issue.

The left usb port doesnt work. Windows 8 didnt detect the usb pen nor the mouse, so ive been using the right usb port to do everything. i installed ubuntu 16 but whenever i try to plug a device on the left usb port it remains unresponsive.

I searched some forums to see if my pc was recognizing  the usb port, so here are some pics from my terminal:info.pngIsnt the terminal recognizing the 2 usb ports?

Ive also went to the BIOS->Config tab and changed some options, but everything remains the same. Please help, i use this pc for work and college stuff and if the only remaining usb port dies, this machine is pretty much useless for the kind of stuff i do.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,684
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad x1 Carbon left USB port not working.

The left side USB port is on a little audio card (not the motherboard).  It can be replaced separately.  The part number is 04X5600.  It is fairly easy to do - remove the bottom cover and the battery

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
X1CarbonOwner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,667
Message 3 of 5

Do you have a video which explains the process? As you can imagine im a little cautious about butchering my pc. And is it fair to assume that the left USB port is dead? Isn`t there a way to reinstall a driver or to check if my ubuntu is detecting the usb? 

[Edit: Spelling ]

ZardozIX
What's DOS?
Views: 976
Message 4 of 5

I'm a little late to the game but I have the exact same problem. I've done all the reset, battery removal, hold start button tricks and removed all unessential drivers. I then ordered a used usb port from laptopssalesandservice Ebay in England ( I'm in Norway ) and replaced it. It's a simple fix.

Unfortunately that did not help.

Do you have any other tips? There is a possibility that the used one is defective. The audio part works.

Any ideas?

mpower0
Paper Tape
Views: 756
Message 5 of 5

I'm having the exact same problem! Smiley Sad  Purchased my laptop used on eBay too but running Windows 10 so it's not an OS issue.  Seems like this is a common issue with the gen 2 X1 Carbon (or X1 models).  Replacing it should be easy but I'm afraid of purchasing a replacement part and after the install the problem still exist. 

Wondering if it's a software/driver issue.  What are the chances of the used USB port being dead or defective too?  Any other X1 Carbon owners having this problem?? 

Also tried the emergency reset based on another post but that didn't fix the problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors