Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlody
Paper Tape
Views: 1,517
Message 1 of 12

ThinkPas X1 Extreme general lag after re-connecting to a docking station

My X1 Extreme is experiencing an issue when re-connecting to a thunderbolt docking station (the one with two power adapters - 65W and 230W). I am unsure if this is a patch/firmware related issue, but my system is fully updated (Windows 1903) if that help.

The problem only becomes apparent when the system is re-connected to the docking station. When the system is first booted, no problem at all, when undocked, also no problem. The problem comes on when I reconnect to the dock. Everything starts to lag to the point where even moving around an empty Notepad window is very choppy. The cursor, and input (typing) lags, opening and closing windows, etc. The system becomes so laggy that each time I reconnect to the docking station, I need to reboot to get back into a usable state.

Does anyone experience a similar issue? Any idea how to resolve the problem?  I  appreciate any input.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,372
Message 2 of 12

Re: ThinkPas X1 Extreme general lag after re-connecting to a docking station

Hi mlody!

Thanks for posting in the Community,

Have you tried installing the Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility? If you haven't yet, you can download it below, along with the Intel Thunderbolt Controller,

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

Also, please share us the exact model of the Thunderbolt Docking Station that you're using, so we can check for driver.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

TheYves
Paper Tape
Views: 1,134
Message 3 of 12

I have the exact same problem and it's driving me nuts. I've the latest drivers installed, both on the X1 and the docking station.

Docking Station: ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock, Model No. DK184, Type 40AN

As mlody already described, the whole system gets very sluggish after reconnecting to the docking station. For example moving a window around is or typing this text is very laggy. The only fix is to reboot the system after each reconnect, which is really annoying.

mlody
Paper Tape
Views: 1,065
Message 4 of 12

All this time, I continued to do the troubleshooting of my issue and concluded that something is messed up with the graphic cards switching on my laptop/or software that handles it.
I had tried several other docking stations (even USB-C), and the same issue exists. To make things even worse, the problem also exists when merely connecting to an external monitor via HDMI port - no dock involved. 
One common thing with all these setups is that I always keep my X1 build screen/lid closed. When I retested the same general configuration (Thunderbolt dock, USB-C dock, external monitor only) but with the screen/lid open on my X1, the issue is NOT present!!! Come on, Lenovo!!!
This situation got me curious, and I started to mess with the BIOS next. After I switched the settings to always run the dedicated NVIDIA graphics, my issue went away. I can close the lid/screen on my laptop and enjoy lag-free usage. The only downside is that my battery life is crap (2-3 hours only) when I am using the laptop on the go since it is always using the discrete video card. I wish there was an option to force the system to use the Intel graphics instead.
Overall this is not an acceptable solution, but more of a band-aid. I expect more from Lenovo, and this lack of proper solution left a sour taste in my mouth. I will not be buying another Lenovo that is for sure.

Vadrigar
Punch Card
Views: 1,032
Message 5 of 12

I just wanted to share that I've made the exact same observations as mlody.

I also use my X1E 1st Gen on the TB3 Workstation Dock, mainly with the lid closed. Using HDMI or DisplayPort doesn't make a difference and the problem goes away most of the time if I kill dwm.exe.

However, that's just as unacceptable as running the discrete GPU all the time. Since a lot of users have these problems (there are other threads as well, w/o real solution) I expect this is a general problem and should be addressed asap by Lenovo.

Drivers and dock firmware are up-to-date and I use the latest NVidia/Intel drivers distributed by Lenovo.

moarli
What's DOS?
Views: 899
Message 6 of 12

Same problems like Vadrigar here. Only kill of dwm.exe helps until new reboot. 

(1st Gen X1E + USB-C Dock with 2 External Monitors connected, X1-lid closed)

ejemplo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 795
Message 7 of 12

I solve this problem every time, disabling and enabling the intel integrated gpu in device manager. (i can't disable hybrid graphics because when i select discrete gpu in uefi, i get a black screen in the laptop lcd and can only use it with external displays, even with the lastest UEFI)

TheYves
Paper Tape
Views: 739
Message 8 of 12

Thank you ejemplo, that's the only workaround that worked for me so far!
jmtb
Paper Tape
Views: 351
Message 9 of 12

Disabling/Re-enabling the Intel UHD graphics driver in Device Manager does the trick for me and seems to be the simplest workaround right now. 

Lenovo, any word on when a permanent fix will be released? 

yaokong
Punch Card
Views: 339
Message 10 of 12

There are several threads about this issue, they should be merged. In at least one other thread Lenovo mentioned fix will be available first week of December.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors