Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkPad24601
Paper Tape
Views: 1,997
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad Carbon X-1 6th Gen / 65W USB C Power Adapter Not Charging

Hello!

Recently I am unable to recharge my X1 with the included Lenovo 65W USB C Charger.  When I plug it in, the orange light blinks (1 second on, 1 off), and the windows battery status icon on the system tray flicks on and off between "plugged-in (charging)" and "not charging".  It seems that when I plug it in, windows is trying to mount something like a USB drive, as the icon to unmount a USB C device flicks on and off.  Furthermore, the task bar flickers as it goes on and off thinking that it is trying to mount and unmount a USB device.

I've plugged in a few different USB C chargers I have "for my phone, for a battery pack, from a MacBook, etc...", and they work on my X1 no problem.

I have 2 Lenovo 65W USB C chargers, and I've tried both of them with the same result.  I'm pretty sure the chargers are ok, as they will charge other devices (like my phone, a battary pack, and a MacBook).  Just, when I plug them into my X1, I get problems.

Not sure if this is due to a recent Lenovo Vantage update, or Windows 10 Update.  I recently did the 2018-12 Windows 10 update.  However, even if I turn the computer off the Lenovo charger blinks the orange charge light, and will not charge the X1.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

ThinkPad24601
Paper Tape
Views: 1,984
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad Carbon X-1 6th Gen / 65W USB C Power Adapter Not Charging

One other peice of info.

When I plug any USB C charger into the 2nd USB C port (the one closer to me, that is next to the network adapter), it will not charge.  The battery will say "plugged-in (not charging)".

This is interesting, becuase this is a new occurence.  I've been able to charge from either port before untill recently, so something must have happened in a recent update.

Thanks again for any help!

-Robert

Highlighted
ThinkPad24601
Paper Tape
Views: 1,918
Message 3 of 6

Called Lenovo Support, person was super helpful.

So, if you have this issue, it seems that you need to "hard reset" the computer.  On the Think Pad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (20KH), there is a small hole on the botton of the computer, that you need to poke with a paperclip or someting after turning the computer off.  This aparently really resets the computer (so nothing is left running).  After doing so, the charger works just fine now.

I guess some power management program was left running even after restarting the computer, and doing a "hard reset" finially rebooted it.

Hope this helps anyone else who has the same problem.

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 1,888
Message 4 of 6

I saw this post a bit late, but this has happened to me before (including a different, annoying "charging / charger disconnected" cycling that often occurs after disconnecting from my TB3 dock).

That reset hole gets a lot of mileage here.
Sam_S
What's DOS?
Views: 1,312
Message 5 of 6

This was my problem, thanks so much!

I wish Lenovo made it easier to chat to a support person online though. I tried to find an option to, and eventually opened a warranty claim (because I thought this was a hardware problem until I saw this post). If it had been easier to talk to a support person, I would have worked this out much earlier.

joonro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 431
Message 6 of 6

Instead of using the reset hole, you can do this in BIOS. In power, there should be the option "Disable built-in battery" (see https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd025206). It should hard reset the machine and it should start working correctly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors