Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pfaguiar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,342
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad Carbon X1 (20BS) Bios update - windows locked

Hello,

I just recently performed the 26-Jul BIOS update to 1.14, for my Thinkpad Carbon X1 (20BS) with windows 10.

The update went ok, but afterwards, Windows is crashing when booting.

Using a bootable Windows 10 installation disk also crashes when booting. The recovery environment also crashes when booting. 

Using detailed logs, it seems to crash when activating the ACPI microcontroller.

I would assume that has something to do with the UEFI update, that I have disabled in the BIOS. Enabling it does not recognise the disk, as it is not a GPT partition.

I tried to rollback the BIOS, but it does not allow it.

Do you have any suggestion on how to proceeed?

Thanks,

Pedro

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,296
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad Carbon X1 (20BS) Bios update - windows locked

Hello, pfaguiar

You have to load UEFI BIOS default settings after its upgrade, then load OS Optimized settings, save, exit. Now boot laptop.

I have the same laptop with BIOS and win10 upgraded last week w/out issues.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pfaguiar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,289
Message 3 of 7

Thanks, already tried and does not work.

since my boot disk is MBR format (not GPT) the disk is not recognized by the UEFI bios.

so I am locked out: UEFI bios boots but does not recognize disk.

non-UEFI bios recognizes disk but crashes at boot start.

Former Employee
Views: 2,261
Message 4 of 7

Pfaguiar,

The BIOS settings can be changed by performing these steps:

1. Boot the ThinkPad X1 Carbon and press F1 key to enter BIOS Setup
  2. Go to Restart and move the cursor to OS Optimized Defaults, then make it “Disabled”. Select Yes and press Enter to proceed at Attention message
  3. Press F9 to load default settings ( Note that this makes all the BIOS settings to be default except those that are Security-related)
  4. Go to “Startup” menu and confirm “UEFI/Legacy Boot” as [Both], “Boot Priority” as [Legacy First] and “CSM Support” as [Yes]
  5. If you want to change other settings, please change them now
  6. Locate the Install DVD to USB DVD Drive and press F10 to Save & Exit the BIOS setup
  7. Reboot the system and press F12 during POST logo to select boot device as USB DVD Drive
  8. Install Windows 10

Thank you,

ukinny2000
Paper Tape
Views: 2,105
Message 5 of 7

I am having the same problem. After the bios update which I did today I am locked out of windows, and even using a USB recovery drive does not work (the spinning dots freeze after a second or two). This is really infuriating 

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 2,098
Message 6 of 7

The answer to many 'fails to boot' situations with the latest round of BIOS updates is to turn off Execution Prevention in the BIOS settings. This particularly seems to be an issue with Windows 7 machines.

Turning off Execution Prevention is not ideal, as it disables a security related function. Hopefully Lenovo will issue new BIOS updates for the affected machines so that Execution Prevention can be turned back on.

If turning off Execution Prevention doesn't solve your issue, I would reset the BIOS to factory defaults and try again. This will re-enable Execution Prevention, so if it still doesn't work, disable Execution Prevention for a second time and see if you can boot the machine.

ukinny2000
Paper Tape
Views: 2,094
Message 7 of 7

perfect - this worked. Not happy with having to have the EP turned off, but a whole lot happier being able to actually use my laptop again!!! Come on Lenovo, there are enough reports with other laptops that your July 26th BIOS updates messed a lot of people - provide an updated fix!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors