Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roy_muzz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,567
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad Carbon X1 Gen4 Wireless card slots

Hi,

I just cracked open my thinkpad carbon X1 gen 4. The purpose was to try and install a second WiFi card in the slot designed for the 3G/4G card. It was only after I had a look but the X1 carbon does not have miniPCIE slots. It appears to be a smaller form factor fro both the WiFi and the 3G/4G slot.

Can anyone tell me what slot type this is?

Many thanks

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,450
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad Carbon X1 Gen4 Wireless card slots

Good day.

If I'm not mistaken, these are m.2 format slots/connectors.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

roy_muzz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,439
Message 3 of 9

Got it thanks. Yes now that I think about it, they did look a lot like the connector for the SSD.

Cheers

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,423
Message 4 of 9

Take a note the slots for wwan and wlan card, SSD (and the cards themself) have different keys, so the unproper card can't be fitted.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

roy_muzz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,399
Message 5 of 9

Ok thanks for the tip. It will save me a lot of time and effort. I guess that if I want to install two PCIe or M.2 wireless cards then the thinnest thinkpad model is probably not the best one to try to do this with.

Thanks again

roy_muzz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,375
Message 6 of 9

Sorry, one more question on this topic. I was reading http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2016.htm

About 2/3rds of the way down the article they mention that the WWAN slot, which I now know is keyed differently, can also be used as a spot for a WiGig card (802.11ad). I have had a look online but as far as I know, neither Lenovo or anyone else sell an M.2 WiGig card. Does anyone have any idea about where an M.2 WiGig interface could be bought?

Thanks

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 1,369
Message 7 of 9

I'm writing this from an X1 Yoga (pretty similar hardware wise to the X1 Carbon Gen 4) with WiGig.

Lenovo install an Intel Tri-Band Wireless-AC 18260 card in the WiGig versions of the X1 Carbon Gen 4 and X1 Yoga. This card goes in the WLAN slot (not the WWAN slot, which remains empty) and operates as two entirely separate PCI Express endpoints - a Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8260 Wi-Fi device and the WiGig device. As with the Wireless-AC 8260, Bluetooth is provided via USB 3.0.

The WiGig card requires a WiGig antenna to be fitted in place of the standard WWAN antennas. If you look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual, this involves very extensive disassembly of the machine to switch from one antenna setup to the other. I believe that machines ordered without WWAN or WiGig have WWAN antennas fitted.

All the parts needed should be available from Lenovo Service Parts if you are brave enough to perform such extensive surgery on your machine!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,363
Message 8 of 9

@roy_muzz...

As David_J_W mentions, WiGig and WWAN are mutually exclusive options because, if I recall our discussions at CES2016 correctly, the systems can't accomodate both sets of antennae.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

roy_muzz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,347
Message 9 of 9

Great, all of your responses make a lot of sense. Thanks a lot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors