cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pantojaf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 784
Message 1 of 13

Thinkpad Carbon X1 Yoga 2nd Generation OLED 2017 screen flickering (on any level of brightness)

Any help / tips on this? System fully updated.... I am not finding a pattern for it....

It happened once to me like five weeks ago, but not again. Suddenly happens every time after Lenovo BIOS update followed by two days ago the Windows 10 system update. So I am attributing it to it and to a BIOS vs. OS conflict of some sort.

This is also because it does not seem to be a hardware problem... it can work [almost] perfeclty well for hours and without any screen alteration [flickering] and then just flicker the next day on start up / boot and will continue to flicker. And when works well, I move the screen and it does not alter ... does not flicker... really strange if it were due to a hardware problem.

[[[Anything to due with heating/cooling? unlikely, but eventually works with only a low brightness band and in these cases when screen working like that [without major flickering] it does not alter for hours. Thus when having been working for a certain period of time [without sleep], it does not flick(er)... at the same time, it seems to me that if you really blow on the fan and some parts, the major problem goes away... I may be going crazy by now, but seems to work]]]

I know there is another thread, but it says on low brightness..... and this happens in any possible screen resolution and brightness combination. All checked so far without any success.....

20180804_180440_lowres.jpg

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd

Product Number: 20JES16Q00

BIOS: N1NET42W 1.29

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 10.0.17134.1

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 711
Message 2 of 13

Re: Thinkpad Carbon X1 Yoga 2nd Generation OLED 2017 screen flickering (on any level of brightness)

I'm having the same issue on my 1st Gen X1 Yoga w/OLED screen.   Crazy flickering & artifacts.  Brightness level does seem to have some impact (sometimes raising the brightness will help it go away, other times lowering will help) but it's not consistent.  Driving me crazy!  I also recently updated the BIOS and the OS . . . I'm pretty sure the first time I saw it was after the BIOS update, and immediately before the OS update (though maybe the OS update was still the culprit - when it first happened I tried restarting my computer to see if it would resolve, and it required the OS update, so I'm wondering if it had secretly already begun the OS update in the background without my knowledge, and something there caused the problem).  

Lots of people reporting this issue and saying the only fix is a screen replacement, but it does seem suspicious that it happened right around the BIOS & OS updates.  

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 691
Message 3 of 13

Re: Thinkpad Carbon X1 Yoga 2nd Generation OLED 2017 screen flickering (on any level of brightness)

FYI, to investigate the possibility that the BIOS had something to do with this, I just flashed back to each of the previous 3 BIOS versions . . . unfortunately this did not solve the problem.  YMMV.

pantojaf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 651
Message 4 of 13

May be important to people experiencing this problem.... I think that many of us believe that this is due to some software problem and not hardware problem.

I hardly believe so. Yesterday I totally reset my computer to "factory default settings...." I went into Windows and erased everything including all files, etc... [in anticipation of Lenovo personnel coming over to fix the screen, not that I distrust them... but yet still I have another laptop by now...]... and guess what? the flickering.... has totally gone away.

This means that not only I can read the screen without flickering, but without any sort of flickering.... including a thin stripe of flickering that I constantly had. So I totally reset and the flickering is totally gone. !!!!

My BIOS version has changed though as part of the process. There was a request on the process to clear the TPM. I do not know at what moment through the automatic Windows process (recovery) happened, but my current BIOS version is back to N1NET22W (1.09). This is the same machine that (than) of my original post. [apparently MS recovery process reverts back the BIOS, something truly unexpected, but yet it has happened. I did not do anything other than what comes as a default].

I have worked in the IT industry for +20 years. My conjecture always has been that this is a combination of conflicts in software in between OS, screen driver and microchip programming of the OLED screen. This conjecture is now my stronger than ever.

This is only a conjecture, of course. But yet, I do not want to resign this marvellous OLED screen when it should work.

How many teams in how many different languages work in the final computer we work in?

The Korean and Chinese producing the OLED screen and the microprogramming in the microprocessors.... then the Intel team providing the hardware and software... with god knows how many programming teams, attrition, documentation releases..... the BIOS team......and then the Microsoft Windows operating system (US, India) that interacts with all of that.... with its patches, versions, etc.........

there is some level of probability attached to small conflicts which could be attributed to hardware on low level routines and operating system kernel doing direct drawing in the screen overriding some of these...

and maybe that only happens for some versions of the chip in the OLED screen..... so my guess is that the real problem has not yet been figured out.... maybe replacing the screen changes the screen chip version and then the 'hardware' conflict disappears, but it could have been solved in the software in the very first place.... not that it is not costly to reverse engineer the problem....

in any case... for all of you that might be struggling.... maybe you could try to backup your files and totally reset and please come back and let us all know if it works.... 

hope this helps. I am looking forward hearing from you. and next I will have to figure out if I ever update the BIOS or not.....

[few personal notes following.....

1. I feel that I own a Ferrari with this X1 Carbon OLED. This is why I have not given up. People around in their MACs do not have touch screens or can flip it or write in the screen and yet the quality of the OLED screen is unmatched.....

2. Regret my original note thinking that if I blew in the hardware... I was desperate....

3. I still expect that if it is software it will flicker again when something updates again and recreates the software conflict, but the fact that it is not flickering as of now, it is is yet to me a proof that this is software and most probably BIOS/microchip conflict.]

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 630
Message 5 of 13

Thank you for reporting this, Pantojaf.  I had wondered about taking this drastic step, but had not gotten around to it yet.  Given that the flickering was intermittent for you anyway, please report back after some length of time to confirm that the problem does not return. 

Further, if you are willing, once you are confident that the problem was resolved by resetting the machine, will you run Windows Update repeatedly until you are fully up to date, and also update to the latest BIOS version and see whether the problem returns?  (It is not too difficult to flash back to an older version of the BIOS if needed, though as I mentioned none of the previous 3 versions solved the problem for me).  

Thanks.

pantojaf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 622
Message 6 of 13

At the present time Windows 10 is fully updated and the flickering has not reappeared. The stripe lately had always been there and is now gone. I believe that if I update the BIOS, problems will reappear. I may do... who knows. So at present, the Recovery --> Reset your PC has worked well.

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 616
Message 7 of 13

Hm, well since the BIOS does include security and functionality features, it will be important to know whether it is possible to update it without having the flashing come back.  If it is a problem with the BIOS, we can hope that a future release will fix the problem, and use an older version while we wait.  But if you update the BIOS and the flashing does not come back . . . well then it's a bigger mystery what was causing the problem, or if/when it may come back.  

pantojaf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 607
Message 8 of 13

BIOS has updated, unadvertedly, to N1NET42W 1.29.... still without flickering.....

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 594
Message 9 of 13

Ok, let's see if it returns over the next several days then.  Very curious. 

pantojaf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 553
Message 10 of 13

NO FLICKERING YET. and it was unbearable before. It has been slighly more than two weeks now. 

I wonder if anyone else has tried a 'factory' reset?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors