Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianKL
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,121
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad Extreme 4k Battery Life

Update 31 July 2019: Tech support checked my battery report and recognized its draining abnormally. The reckon its the Nvidia Device Driver. I have to reinstall these drivers and test again. They said I should expect 6-9 hrs if fixed. (Finally, someone gave a number for how long it should last). I will test and update.

===============================
I just received my new Thinkpad Extreme laptop with 4k screen a few days ago. I'm formerly a Macbook Pro user and I love the Thinkpad Extreme.

However, I'm shocked to see that my real-world battery life usage is 4hrs and 40mins. Especially when they advertise the battery life to be 14 hrs! My power mode is set to "Better Battery", screen brightness at about 80% and I'm the only doing web browsing and some youtube videos. Not even video rendering or editing. This is a massive deal-breaker for me. I was hopping for about 6 hours at least.

Can any other Thinkpad Extreme user with 4k monitor advise if this is normal? How much battery life do you get?

I checked with support but they refuse to tell me what the average battery life I should be expecting and just say that battery life will vary with usage. I found this review online which says they got 6 hours 7mins of continuous wifi web surfing: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-extreme

Again, I feel quite a let down because the the specs say up to 14 hours. I was expecting even at half of that I was hoping to get about 7 hours. But about 4+ hours is really bad - its almost the same as my 7 year old Macbook Pro which I switched from.

ADude
What's DOS?
Views: 1,081
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad Extreme 4k Battery Life

The review you posted did their battery test at 150 nits which is about 40% of the 400nit monitor on the X1 Extreme Gen 1.

I'm not sure if you setting yours at 80% will make that big of a difference but I noticed that the brightness on my X1 Carbon had a large effect on its battery life.

xMicro
Paper Tape
Views: 1,071
Message 3 of 6

This for the Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Highlighted
BrianKL
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,067
Message 4 of 6

Gen 1. ThinkPad X1 Extreme 20MFCTO1WW with 4k display.

I'm interested to know what are other owners real-world battery life. In my test yesterday, I only got 3.5hrs before the power save kicked in.

I'm wondering if this is "normal" or a defect in my unit.

I've already done a battery gauge reset and updated drivers. I just can't believe a brand new 2019 high end device only has 3.5 hours of battery life?

BrianKL
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,066
Message 5 of 6

What is your real-world usage battery life? I'm trying to determnine if its "normal" or a defect in my unit. Tech support refuse to tell me a number.

gm20
Punch Card
Views: 987
Message 6 of 6

Go to review https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-i7-4K-HDR-GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.3... and check "Power Consumption" section.

In X1 Extreme is installed 80Wh battery.

Lets do some math:

80Wh / 7.6W = 10,5h max on battery (based on idle minimum)

80Wh / 14.8W = 5,4h (based on idle average).

If you do nothing on X1 Extreme 4k you schould expect battery life about 5,4h

Edit:

And the same for FHD version https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-i5-FHD-GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.3395...

80Wh / 4.14W = 19,3h max on battery (based on idle minimum)

80Wh / 7.3W = 11h (based on idle average).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors