Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

07-27-2011

Basildon, UK

23 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad Old vs New

2020-03-06, 11:58 AM

Is it just me but....

I have been a loyal IBM/LENOVO user, even enthusiast over the years. I still have a working IBM 365, 380, Lenovo A20p T43p. All running legacy software that my business sometimes requires. These days we rely on a couple of X230 one the tablet version. Two T430, a W520, a C30 & S30 Thinkstation.  All these have been easily upgraded to SSD, W10 and max memory. New batteries where required. They all just plug in. 

In the last few years we bought two X1's. The first has completely failed, dead, just out of warranty, the second OLED screen failed after two years and repaired under warranty, and now its fan has packed up and its in for a repair outside of warranty.

Point is it appears to me that the quality of LENOVO today is not that of old. I have just looked at all the new models, they are all high spec and pushing technology limits, but they are all very sealed thoroughbreds. Through experience I worry that they too would have a short lifespan compared to my trusty X230t. Its put me off buying a new one and instead I look to purchase these older and my opinion more robust and better designed older models.

I often get surveys asking about the later innovation but they never ask questions on whether I would like to swap the battery out or change the hard drive or maybe have a slice type laptop dock. This is what I want.

So is it just me????????

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms