cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itaa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 356
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad Warranty- Has anyone claimed one?

Got some problem which I can't pinpoint to what exactly is it with my x230 ( just shuts itself off at random moments, no overheating issues,everything is clean, no pattern as to why it does it etc,has been doing this for past 4-5months..)
I see my device still has got 109days of warranty left on it so I think I should try and get the lenovo to sort it out?

I have never claimed anything on warranty before so not sure what the process even is?
maybe anyone has claimed with lenovo before and can share?
I'm in UK, and I bought this laptop off of someone when it was nearly-new (just 16hours of usage...so as new) ,is my warranty still valid since I didn't bought the laptop myself and have no proof of purchase?

also what happens if they take it up the warranty, do they take the laptop away to inspect? for how long? It's my main work station btw so it would suck to be without it for even few days..
Thanks.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 318
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad Warranty- Has anyone claimed one?

Hello,

In the past when I've had to get a ThinkPad serviced under warranty, I would call Lenovo's support, explain the problem, and they would either send me a shipping box to return the laptop in, or have someone come out and repair it, depending upon the type of warranty (depot repair or on-site repair).  The laptop would get repaired, and I'd go on using it.

You should be able to get it repaired since it is still under warranty, however, it is probably best to check with UK support on the specifics, in case things are different than in the US (which is all I have experience with).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

SeniorGuru
Views: 304
Message 3 of 7

My experience in Canada is the same as Aryeh's in the US. Typically it takes about a week in total (to get the empty box, ship the ThinkPad to the repair facility, and get the repaired unit back.) All of the shipping costs are absorbed by Lenovo.

One issue to be aware of: If the repair facility doesn't have the necessary parts to complete the repair then there will be a delay. In some unusual cases, especially with new-to-market models, the delay could be substantial.

The symptoms you describe don't sound like a defective HDD or SSD. You should remove and keep the drive before you send in the ThinkPad. That way you will still have access to your data, assuming you have or can borrow a spare system. It also protects your data in case the technician inadvertently reformats the drive, the package gets lost in shipping, etc.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 302
Message 4 of 7

There is 50% chance that the the cpu needs new thermalpaste applied from my research and some other people reporting similar problems, which is a dead simple task to do yourself on a Desktop PC but talked to a friend of mine that for some laptops the coolers come soldered on to the cpu case and you have to un-solder the cooler before you get access to change the thermal paste.. Im not sure how hard is it to do it on a x230 and since I see I got a warranty on it Might as well claim on that than try and do it myself.

SeniorGuru
Views: 298
Message 5 of 7

In the OP you said, "just shuts itself off at random moments, no overheating issues,everything is clean, no pattern as to why it does it etc,has been doing this for past 4-5months."

How did you conclude that the shutdowns are not temperature related?

If you now suspect overheating may be an issue then I'd suggest you monitor temperatures using utilities like TPFanControl or Speccy to confirm.

As for repasting, no desoldering is required to do that. See the X230 Hardware Maintenance Manual page 82 for details. But if the system is still under warranty I'd send it to Lenovo for servicing. The problem may be something other than thermal paste, e.g. a faulty fan.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 282
Message 6 of 7

I had installed temperature monitoring,nothing out of the normal.

I even stress tested it with the lenovo app,no faults/problems found. I think it has never shut itself off just because it has been under heavy load, Most of the time it does it when Im doing almost nothing with it (which is most of the time, so there's no real pattern as when it does it.

About the Thermal paste- honestly that was the only thing that I could found browsing countless lenovo forums and trying to find what it is, for some people that thing just stopped once they changed the thermal paste , I have no idea why would it be any different with a new thermal paste if there's no overheating issues,but that's the only clue I could find..

I have even checked the windows logs for the errors why it has shut itself off, it clearly shows that it has unexpectedly lost the power but that's it, no clue even there why it does that.. 

I would say it does this thing maybe 1-2x per day, not more than that. The only problem is if Im working on something and it loses the power and I loose the unsaved data as well when that happens which sucks big time..

SeniorGuru
Views: 262
Message 7 of 7

@itaa wrote:

I have even checked the windows logs for the errors why it has shut itself off, it clearly shows that it has unexpectedly lost the power but that's it, no clue even there why it does that.. 

I would say it does this thing maybe 1-2x per day, not more than that. The only problem is if Im working on something and it loses the power and I loose the unsaved data as well when that happens which sucks big time..

That sounds like hardware, perhaps a bad solder joint or other loose connection. You might try to reproduce the problem by firmly tapping the case at various points using a rubber mallet.

If that indeed is the problem then you have no option but to send the unit in for service. Make sure to include a note to explain how you are reproducing the problem.

Otherwise it could be a thermal issue where as the unit warms up a solder joint expands and cracks. Those can be very difficult to find. Again you'd need to send the system in for maintenance, explain the intermittent nature of the power off, and let Lenovo try to track down the cause.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors