Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gjel
Punch Card
Views: 3,605
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad X1 2016 microSD slot idiocy

After all problems, imperfections, bugs at "top level" TP X1 C/Y - here is a one more...

microSD card slot at back side of notebook is connected to highest speed PCIe card reader controller Realtek RTS5208 that possible can rise top speeds of newest microSDXC up to 200mb/s.

But... because it's not USB-controller... IT DOES NOT EXIST AT BIOS BOOT OPTIONS!!!

So with this super fast controller users have lost possibility to boot from SD-cards...

Stupid lenovo! Robot Frustrated

Moderator note: post edited to conform with Community Guidelines

TripleX1
Token Ring
Views: 3,538
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad X1 2016 microSD slot idiocy

Strangely the Skylake PCH series 100 *includes* a SDA controller built-in - the NUC uses it - so not sure why Lenovo has used a 3-rd party Realtek one? In fairness other OEMs are using PCIe not USB2 SDA controllers...

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,494
Message 3 of 9

Hello,

Our priority was to support higher speed memory storage as this is a feature our customers have asked for.  

I would like to understand the use case for booting from SD slot so we can better understand if we can accomodate this feature.

Thanks

Mike

Gjel
Punch Card
Views: 3,476
Message 4 of 9

Dear Mike,

Thank you very very much for your answer.

PS Dell E7470 also have PCIe SD card slot, but it shows at BIOS for booting and its M.2 2242 WWAN slot supports M.2 mSATA SSD!!! Feel the different!

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it civil.

Drewsome
Punch Card
Views: 3,216
Message 5 of 9

@ThinkPadXpert wrote:

Hello,

Our priority was to support higher speed memory storage as this is a feature our customers have asked for.  

I would like to understand the use case for booting from SD slot so we can better understand if we can accomodate this feature.

Thanks

Mike

Hello,

In my case, I do most of my work in Windows, but some of my work requires Ubuntu.  I would like to keep a micro-SD card in the slot so I can boot to Ubuntu when it is required.  

Sincerely,

-Drew

Nebu
What's DOS?
Views: 2,563
Message 6 of 9

Hello,

I have found this thread because I was wondering why I could not boot on a micro-sd on my new Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 2. I am very disapointed by the answer I have found.
I have the same use case as Drewsome, I want to install another OS (Remix OS, Ubuntu), and the micro-sd was an easy and clean way to do it.
This not unusual for IT professionals to install several OS on a single PC, so I am very surprised that a Thinkpad, which is supposed to be a laptop for professionals, does not allow this kind of basic flexibility. Even my 10 year old Dell Precision can do this...

Drewsome
Punch Card
Views: 2,548
Message 7 of 9

Two updates:

First, with my Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen 1, I kept a micro SD in the drive all the time.  But at some point the latching mechanism failed and the Micro SD card wouldn't stay in the slot any more.  The only fix was to replace the entire motherboard! [Insert long story about all the software licenses that had to be fixed when the motherboard is swapped] 

So be warned!  If that slot mechanism fails there are serious consequences.

Second, I just got my Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen 2 and, since I couldn't make the Micro SD card bootable, I immediately replaced the M.2 drive with the Samsung 960 2TB drive. Now I have room to install dual boot.   The swap was simple and took about 5 minutes.

Gjel
Punch Card
Views: 2,529
Message 8 of 9

Dear friends, I can assure you, that my first dissatisfaction of absent of SD-booting was for the same reason - I can't create SD-card for booting Linux, that with USB-SD-card-reader can be used as portable USB-flash for some tech maintenance at another users PC, but also can be used at the main TPX1 itself.

Already 9 months is passed and stupid Lenovo makes about 15 BIOS'es updates... and makes Gen.2 model... but its still no SD Booting... lazy noobs!

Thinkpad's is no more "for professionals", now Thinkpad's is "for stupid managers that think that they can think..."

Guru
Views: 2,508
Message 9 of 9

The SD card has almost always been on the PCIe. Exceptions are the X200[s][t] where it sits on USB 2.0.

A workaround for GRUB is to chainload off a boot loader on the primary drive:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=293153

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors