Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

08-08-2017

Chile

43 Signins

356 Page Views

• Views: 356
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue (not solved)

2017-09-07, 22:30 PM

I made the purchase of the computer on August 07.
After the traditional start, with Windows pro updates, I realized that the tocuhpad did not work properly. At times it worked and in other cases it was disabled, for this reason I had to do all the initial configuration with the Trackpoint and then with an external mouse.
I proceeded to perform Lenovo Companion software and driver updates, where several features were updated.
I reviewed several Lenovo forums, in English, to learn about a possible similar problem and its solution.
I tried to solve the problem by checking that the BIOS was activated both the Trackpoint and the Touchpad, but it did not work.
Later I tried to configure the functions with the mouse and touch panel option from Control Panel, but both functions are activated, trackpoint and tocuhpad.
The final step was to uninstall the mouse and touchpad drivers, and look for the new drivers from the Lenovo web. In particular Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad.

With all these steps, I have not been able to activate the Tocuhpad, and I do not consider something Good, that a new computer has these drawbacks.

Solved! See the solution
Options

419 Posts

03-03-2017

Japan

1408 Signins

12683 Page Views

• Views: 12683
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue (not solved)

2017-10-18, 0:29 AM

Dear,

have you tried to apply the Trackpint firmware update ?
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X1-CARBON-TYPE-20HR-20HQ/downloads/DS122148

Options

16 Posts

08-08-2017

Chile

43 Signins

356 Page Views

• Views: 356
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-10-19, 20:44 PM

The problem was solved by Lenovo Technical Support Service.

They detected that it was a hardware problem, so they changed the complete tocuhpad. The technician took a couple of hours to change the part and now both the tocuhpad and the trackpad work without problems.

I recommend contacting Technical Service if the problem arises, since after updating drivers and other solutions raised in the forum, the problems were solved only with the change of the piece.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

11-04-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-11-04, 13:25 PM

I received my X1 Carbon 5th Gen laptop in early October 2017. Overall, I would say this is a great laptop - EXCEPT for the touchpad.  I fully echo the frustration and disappointment expressed in your post.  I am a professor of medicine and this laptop is the center of my professional research life. Since switching over to the X1 Carbon 5th gen, I find myself wanting to throw the thing across the room anytime I have to use the touchpad - that, or take my fist and pound the the $%#* out of the touchpad.  Like your post says, the touchpad will jump, will not respond to a slight shift in the finger's movement, only to then over compensate and jump far a second or two later. For example, if you're working in Microsoft Word and trying ot resize the width of a column in a table (or the height of a row), you need to put the mouse arrow over the column until it turns into the "width adjuster" double-arrow ... well, with this $1800 X1 Carbon, good luck doing that without having a complete mental breakdown.  You get the cursor near the line only to have it JUMP right past the line.  Then you move it back the other way and it won't move at all, only to leap past the column line a second later. I've adjusted the sensitivity settings and I'm using the latest drivers - and there has been zero improvement.  My previous laptop, a ThinkPad T460s, had an FLAWLESS touchpad.  Never had a single problem with the T460s.  Now I find myself wanting to put the X1 Carbon in the garbage bin ... all because of something that should have been identified and resolved by Lenovo BEFORE putting the 5th gen on the market.  

If this is a hardware issue, then Lenovo has got to recall these touchpads and install new ones THAT WORK.  If it's a software issue, then they need to get a fix pushed out to everyone YESTERDAY.  If this is not resolved, I guarantee this will be my last ThinkPad or Lenovo purchase.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms