Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 131 of 303 (2,612 Views)

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

You can add me to the list of broken. I posted several times a few pages ago and still don't have a replacement yet.

I'd find it very hard to believe so many people would be affected by a dodgy connection between touchpad and the main board. Surely it's the touchpad itself.

I said this earlier, and it applies even more so now: When is Lenovo going to acknowledge there is a problem? What we don't know is how many others have read this thread and got replacement machines without posting anything. But Lenovo does.

I found another curious aspect is when I wake the machine and I have that random wallpaper. The top right asks if I like it or not.(before the fingerprint hello)..navigating to those options is really really difficult, and when it wakes the cursor moves much better. I don't think it's just hardware.

Fanfold Paper
Message 132 of 303 (2,607 Views)

[ Edited ]

another thing, I don't like it how this thread is now labeled "Solved:", when it's clearly not.

Disabling Edge filtering vastly improves the problem, but it's not 100% and it's not a solution - it's a workaround.

Fanfold Paper
Message 133 of 303 (2,588 Views)

Hi: you can add me to the list of broken units. My machine SN also starts with PF.

I already called for service and on-site reapair. But: no touchpad available right now. So I have to wait. 

My machine is very usable when edge filtering ist off. But it isn't perfect. And for this price - it should be.

Greetings..

Token Ring
Message 134 of 303 (2,578 Views)

Thanks for the updates - I've updated my previous post. When they get chance could people, especially with working units, please post their "dmesg | grep synaptics" output when booted from a Live Linux USB? (e.g. Ubuntu, or others may have better suggestions)

_____
X1C5 left factory 16/5 | i7-7600U 16G 1TB LTE W10-1607
X220: i7, 16GB, m500 960GB, F5521gw, Win10, USB3 dock + two 1080p displays, 25% on road
Fanfold Paper
Message 135 of 303 (2,572 Views)

Ubuntu is the easiest way for this.

(Reasons are driver availability, UEFI Secure Boot compatibility and an easy-to-use GUI)

Paper Tape
Message 136 of 303 (2,529 Views)

@Truant70 - Agreed, this topic really shouldn't be labeled as "Solved."  It's not.

@veriton - Yes, built-to-order, shipped from China.  Ordered 4/11/17 and received 4/20/17.

I've been using the touchpad with edge filtering disabled for a couple of days now with basically no issue.  When I turn filtering back on, the issues start again in short order.  Also experiencing the poor tracking on the lock screen.  The cursor moves normally in the horizontal direction but sticks moving vertically.  Moving diagonally happens in a choppy, stepwise way.

There is no way Lenovo is unaware of this problem, but I suspect they don't know how to fix it.  This may seem a little cynical and of course is purely speculative, but I wouldn't be surprised if their engineers knew about the problem even before the product was launched.  This is a competitive market and it's not unusual for business leaders to pressure for an on-schedule launch that may be premature from a technical standpoint.

Dealing with the exchange process on defective technology in other areas, sometimes multiple times, has left me very weary.  I don't need this computer for anything critical so I can afford to be patient, but I'm not looking forward to the possibility of a replacement with the same or some other issue.  To prepare for this I would like to thoroughly understand Lenovo's policies and what my options are.  Basic questions that come to mind:

1.  Can I return this unit for an exchange without paying the 15% restocking fee, and if so (and most importantly) how long do I have to initiate that process?  Does the clock start ticking on the day I ordered or the day it was delivered?

2. If the replacement has some issue that requires another exchange, will I have the same window to initiate the second exchange? In other words, does the clock reset every time I get a replacement?

It seems like we're rolling the dice with this particular model and I don't have a good sense for how many times and in what timeframe Lenovo will allow us to continue rolling until we find a winner.  I would hope they're pretty generous considering the price.  This isn't exactly a $300 laptop with razor-thin margins.

Punch Card
Message 137 of 303 (2,516 Views)

I marked the thread as solved after myself and another user had both recieved replacements that fixed the issue. bad timing since RIGHT after this there was a huge influx of people still getting the issue even after replacement. Guess I shouldn't have jumped the gun on that. I tried changing it back but it doesn't appear as if theres a way.

Im happy to boot into unbuntu and check my touchpad settings on my working unit if one of you can point me towards a download for the USB image with quick instructions on the test process I'll get right on it. Doesn't seem like we have a lot of people interested in this thread who dont have the issue, so I'm happy to help. I'll even open my machine up and check part numbers if people need.

Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 138 of 303 (2,503 Views)

[ Edited ]

1. Download the Ubuntu ISO from the official website: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you?country=DE&version=17.04&architecture=amd64

2. Download Rufus, select GPT for the partition scheme,the desired USB Stick and the ubuntu ISO (use ISO method) and press start.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. Boot your laptop from the USB stick

-press enter while the red Lenovo Logo appears

-select alternative boot device (your flash drive)

4. Select "Try without installing"

5. When you see the desktop environment, press the windows key and type in "Terminal" and start it

6. In the terminal window, type in "dmesg | grep synaptics" and press enter

Hope this is precise enough. Intermediate waiting and confirming might be necessary.

Punch Card
Message 139 of 303 (2,457 Views)

alright... heres my info. Doesn't look like the hardware ids are any different :/

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dmesg|grep synaptics
[   12.449444] psmouse serio1: synaptics: queried max coordinates: x [..5676], y [..4760]
[   12.483307] psmouse serio1: synaptics: queried min coordinates: x [1266..], y [1094..]
[   12.548372] psmouse serio1: synaptics: Touchpad model: 1, fw: 8.2, id: 0x1e2b1, caps: 0xf002a3/0x940300/0x12e800/0x400000, board id: 3289, fw id: 2492434
[   12.548377] psmouse serio1: synaptics: serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0

What's DOS?
Message 140 of 303 (2,437 Views)

I've got a PF model with this issue. Turning off edge tap helps, but its still quite bad. I haven't requested any return or repair yet. Hoping for a new driver to alleviate some of the issues....

if it was just one thing it wouldn't be so bad but the mouse jumps, stops responding, scrolling and gestures are glitchy, and cursor snapping back into place when doing short movements with clicks.
Top kudoed Authors