Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 151 of 302 (2,209 Views)

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

veriton wrote:

... for those who have fully working carbons, is Edge Tap Filtering useful? 

Hi Veriton, I have found that nothing is missing by having Edge Tap Filtering off. Anyone reading this who still have problems after turning it off, you definitely have a faulty pad. For those whose touchpad works after this, I would say stop worrying. I am sure that there is nothing wrong with the hardware but purely a software implementation error.

I read this article on gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/i-freaking-love-this-thinkpad-1794552553 where the author finds exactly the same problem as we did. And like us, he turned off Edge Tap Filtering to fix the issue. This is what he has to say about the matter:

• Drilling deep into the Synaptics firmware for the trackpad I found “Edge Tap Filtering” enabled. The setting is built for people still stuck in a time when touchpads included buttons. It’s meant to make dead zones. I’m not sure why the elderly love this setting, but I can confirm that when it’s enabled you will want to murder your laptop by flinging it into the sun.

It would be helpful if we had an official reply from Lenovo on the matter.

Token Ring
Message 152 of 302 (2,191 Views)

[ Edited ]

Edit: I just noticed the edge tap pic a few posts up again - stopping you tapping in those edge zones does seem a bit unnecessary...

Simon

_____
X1C5 left factory 16/5 | i7-7600U 16G 1TB LTE W10-1607
X220: i7, 16GB, m500 960GB, F5521gw, Win10, USB3 dock + two 1080p displays, 25% on road
Fanfold Paper
Message 153 of 302 (2,107 Views)

I just bought a Thinkpad Carbon x1 5th Gen, i7, 16G, 512GB (20HR000FUS), and after updating all drivers find that my touch pad does not work sometimes.  I file this especially true when the Thinkpad is not on a flat surface.  Could it be that the frame flexes enough that it throws the touch pad off.  I also noticed when looking at the mouse/touchpad settings that there are two drivers, one MS and one Synaptics.  Which should be highlighted.

Lenovo, we really need this to be fixed

Fanfold Paper
Message 154 of 302 (2,084 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't think, that this is a flexing Problem. My X1 doesn't Flex at all.

Just to update on my case: I called for on site repair two weeks ago and still, there's no new touchpad available. Maybe the problem still has to be figured out before delivering new touchpads to users with Problems?!

It is still very annoying, that there is NO OFFICIAL RESPONSE HERE! Just tell us, that you are working on this problem. If not - don't sell these machines anymore.

Punch Card
Message 155 of 302 (2,059 Views)

FordLadd, did you disable Edge Detection? In case you did not follow this conversation, see attached diagram on how to do this.
Paper Tape
Message 156 of 302 (2,041 Views)

Wondering if anyone else here expericed this issue below:

Got my X1 Carbon (5th Gen) a week ago.  I am experiencing a weird behaviour with two-finger scrolling on the touchpad.

When I got it with default software/drivers setup, about 1 in every 5-6 times when I tried to scroll using two-fingers, instead of scrolling it would just move the mouse pointer. So a two-finger get interpreted as one.

After a few days, I re-installed Windows using Microsoft's ISO and all of the latest drivers from Lenovo's website.  Now, with about same frequency, two-finger scrolling doesnt work at all.  That is neither the page scrolls or the pointer moves. Scrolling works when I retry.

I am wondering if this is might be a driver related issue or if I have a hardware issue again?

Punch Card
Message 157 of 302 (2,038 Views)

Hi zerone55. After 16 pages of discussion you probably missed it. You just described one of the effects of the problem we are all experiencing. You cna finc extensive description in previous postings. If you care to apply the recommended fix (remove edge tap filtering detection) everything should work fine. See my previous posting.
Paper Tape
Message 158 of 302 (2,031 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I will check the thread again. In my case, I am only having trouble with two-fingure gesture randomly not responding. Everything else is working fine.
Token Ring
Message 159 of 302 (2,015 Views)

The strange thing is that, as I understand it, the whole motivation behind Microsoft coming up with this new Precision Touchpad approach is to avoid drivers having to do so much of their own processing but instead leaving it up to Windows 10. When I look at an example of the Touchpad settings panel there's nothing about Edge Tap filtering, which to me suggests it can't be very useful. It seems to me the less we ask the Synaptics driver to do the better as the chances are that MS has better development resources and more scale to do this kind of thing properly.

Note: I'm sure someone somewhere(!) mentioned choosing between MS and Lenovo/Synaptics driver - if so, has anyone tried a generic Microsoft one? Or does that end up with Windows not thinking it's a Precision Touchpad, i.e. losing most of the gestures?

_____
X1C5 left factory 16/5 | i7-7600U 16G 1TB LTE W10-1607
X220: i7, 16GB, m500 960GB, F5521gw, Win10, USB3 dock + two 1080p displays, 25% on road
Highlighted
Administrator
Message 160 of 302 (1,867 Views)

[ Edited ]

All,

I have been supplied a test driver by our engineers which should hopefully resolve the issues being described in this thread.  If you are interested in testing this driver visit the below link; your feedback would be appreciated.

[link removed]

Thank you in advance

Edit; I have removed the link because the production driver has been released, please see here.

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Top kudoed Authors