Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Navy1
Paper Tape
Views: 5,095
Message 241 of 309

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

Just minutes after my previous post my new X1C5 has granted me with the very first blue screen. Yeah!

Not sure if it has anything to do with the touchpad put certainly it has a lot to do with the machine as a whole and is pretty annoying.

I think I will switch back to my good old Dell Precision no matter how heavy, ugly and slow it is.

On Monday I will check the quality and willingness of Lenovo customer support here, in Poland. Honestly I expect a flood of words and not much action.

raqball
Punch Card
Views: 5,067
Message 242 of 309

Been following this thread and am thinking about cancelling my order.. Not really interested in dropping 2K on the machine if it has this many issues...

Kind of bummed as I've been waiting and waiting for the Silver color to become available and when it did, I ordered! Now I am strongly considering cancelling it and looking for something else..

---------
Yoga C930
V-C-C
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,045
Message 243 of 309

I regret not buying a Macbook Pro to be honest. The trackpad on this machine is fustrating, and Windows still hasn't achieved consistent behaviour between apps (especially when it comes to the scrolling gesture). Swiping like a mad man in Android Studio just to scroll a couple of lines is insane. Constantly accidently closing tabs because the trackpad accuracy is terrible makes me want to cry. Having to hard reset my machine when it decides to not wake from sleep is just having a laugh at my expense. This isn't a premium nor productive experience. Smiley Sad

FordLadd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,038
Message 244 of 309

When was your 20HR made? I received a new 20HR made this past week, and after two days, still operating properly. Sure hope their may have been a change in hardware.
V-C-C
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,990
Message 245 of 309

Probably one of the original batch. But to be honest, half the problems are in software. Windows just isn't a great laptop OS.

Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 4,984
Message 246 of 309

All,

Further to the driver our engineering team has also released a Trackpoint firmware which also fixes the touchpad freezing issue some have reported.  Please note that the firmware update installer is only compatible with Windows 10 operating system.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X...

Edit;  The new firmware requires BIOS version N1MET35W (v. 1.20) in order to install

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

V-C-C
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,977
Message 247 of 309

Not working for me, it's saying my BIOS is not up to date even though the BIOS update utility I just downloaded says it is.

I'm on version 30.13 of installer. BIOS installed is 1.18-1.12(N1MET33W-N1MHT23W)

maz3max
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,937
Message 248 of 309

On my system with BIOS version N1MET33W (1.18 ) the log file says this:

TouchPad-Flash Utility 
2017-05-27 11:57:21
Command Line: TrackPointDetect.exe
[WARNING]: The Special id 000264 doesn't support.
Pst Vendor ID : 2
[ERROR]: This TrackPoint is ALPS (ID:02)

1 warnings
1 errors

The Zip also contains a file named Alps_Pointing-Device_Updater*.exe, I don't understand why it might not be supported. Remember, I still have touchpad issues on this system.

veriton
Token Ring
Views: 4,924
Message 249 of 309

Well, I had a top-spec MBP 13" 2016 for a couple of weeks before returning it, and have recently got an X1C, so have experience of both machines. Fortuantely, like @FordLadd, I've not had any of the touchpad issues (fingers crossed it stays that way!).

MBP vs X1C is an interesting dilemma:

* The FHD screen on my X1C is fine (though I found the default 150% scaling slightly blurry - not sure why - so am using 100%), and way better than my old X220 of course, but the screen on the MBP is beautiful.

* The haptic touchpad on the MBP is excellent - you are really convinced that the pad is flexing when you click it. On the other hand on my X1C I don't physically click very often - mostly just tap.

* The MBP is quiet - the fan can be quite noisy sometimes on my X1C (e.g. some websites in Chrome) whereas with the MBP the vent is underneath at the back and you rarely hear it.

The downsides of the MBP for me personally:

* Battery life was very disappointing - 5h was typical and that was just with productivity tools, not IDEs. I'm not sure why (I did switch from Chrome to Safari) but I didn't have the time to try to work out what was using the power - I just don't think the battery is big enough.

* Non-replaceable battery - given the battery run-time when brand new I started worrying what it would be like in 2-3 years - I think you'd need to carry a USB-C powerbank.

* The MBP keyboard is a kind of tappy affair - it was OK but quite noisy and I much prefer the longer travel keys of the X1C. Also the missing Escape key is a pain if you use Linux/Unix (though I did map the +- key to Escape, but your brain still needs training).

* I didn't like the shiny MBP screen since I have a window behind me in my office.

* All the dongles - I present quite a lot so need at least HDMI, plus all my existing peripherals are USB-A and won't need replacing for a few more years.

* No LTE option - 3G/4G is convenient for me when travelling, though as free wifi becomes more common maybe this will be less significant.

* MacOS/Finder - just too many things to re-learn - lots of things in Win10 actually work very well (e.g. pinning to taskbar, Chrome web pages as apps, notifications)

* The price - even though the X1C is expensive, the MBP was nearly 50% more (partly because you are forced to buy top spec if you want to maximise its working life - e.g. 512GB->1TB for MBP is 2x the same upgrade for X1C)

I really wanted to like the MBP - I had several attempts to work with it, but each time after a couple of hours I felt unproductive and switched back to my X220.

Note: I spend 3/4 of my time with my laptop docked with 2 FHD screens and external keyboard/mouse, and have used the IBM trackpoint for years. I work in enterprise environments, so predominantly Windows plus Office on desktops, plus most of the developers I work with use Win10. For people who use their laptop standalone, with the touchpad rather than trackpoint or external mouse, say, on web/app-focused development or graphics/video editing, then the optimal mix of features is different and a MBP might be more suitable... YMMV.

Finally, I can see that this X1C5 touchpad issue is a major headache for a lot of people (and shouldn't exist on a premium machine like this), but I think it is the only significant one (and maybe has been resolved on newly manufactured machines?).

Just my 2p Smiley Wink

Simon

PS. sorry for the "brain dump" post - I didn't have time to be more concise

_____
X1C5 May 17 | i7-7600U 16G 1TB LTE W10-1709 | USB3 dock + two 1080p displays, 25% on road
X220: i7, 16GB, m500 960GB, F5521gw
FordLadd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,912
Message 250 of 309

For what it is worth, my 220HRCTO1WW is still running great, and I have used touchpad, mouse and pointer a lot. My Mouse Drivers are Synaptics 19.3.4.86 and HID Compliant 10.0.14393.0. And, believe my system had a system BIOS Update on the 25th.

Andy, one recommendation for future models. I have Sony VAIO VPCZ1290X and 13KGX, they have same screen, but with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M video, and must say their clarity is far superior. I am switching to these Carbons, and can't wait to get the WQHD screen. Ford

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors