Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 91 of 307 (1,179 Views)

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

[ Edited ]

This is some bullcrap Truant. I recieved my machine on 3/13, and called them to request a return on 3/24. 11 days after. It didnt take any major convincing either. Thy offered an exchange, and i told them i couldn't send mine back until i got the  new one and that was that. I would try calling them directly. There was defintely a 21 day rule of some sort for exchanges on new hardware. 

Also my new machine without the issue has a PF serial number

Punch Card
Message 92 of 307 (1,156 Views)

Truant70, apologies, I just glanced at the posting rather than fully reading the preceding. Mine is PF... too!
Fanfold Paper
Message 93 of 307 (1,150 Views)

No Problem, and to give a more positive update, Lenovo have agreed to issue me a DOA for replacement.

I'm not sure exactly how I will get it as I am travelling for work, but anyway it's looking like it is underway.

SCSI Port
Message 94 of 307 (1,142 Views)

truant, glad your situation got sorted. I was concerned it could be that the 21 day policy might not apply in your country (I am in US).

I also have a PF serial number and requested replacement, mine is scheduled to arrive mid-November. I have applied the very latest update and still have issues with the trackpad. 

Punch Card
Message 95 of 307 (1,128 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bad news.... well not really bad because there is an easy fix I thought that the Windows Creators update had fixed it, but I was mistaken. It turns out that the mouse configuration is unique to each user on the machine. If you remember, I set the touchpad in its default configuration, including edge detection. But I had done that as the Admin user.

I then switched to my regular non-admin login and did not notice that my original settings disabling the edge detection were still in place. As a non-admin, the touchpad has now been working for many days without any problem. As soon as I login as admin, the fault reappears, but removing edge detection from Admin it fixes the problem too for that login.

For the sake of completeness, I will also apply the latest Synaptics driver and let you know if there is a change, but judging from you guys, it's going to be a waste of time.

As I said before, I am happy to do without edge detection, I don't even know if it makes a difference having it or not. If no other problem pops up, I would advise Lenovo to remove the edge detection functionality alltogether.

Fanfold Paper
Message 96 of 307 (1,122 Views)

I also updated to Windows Creators update, and actually it made the problem worse for me. I'm only using one Admin login.

Punch Card
Message 97 of 307 (1,118 Views)

Did you disable edge detection? This consistently fixes it for me, whichever user rights I have.

Fanfold Paper
Message 98 of 307 (1,116 Views)

Yes I did, and it's worse than before
Punch Card
Message 99 of 307 (1,106 Views)

A bunch of us still noticed some issues even after disabling the edge tap filtering. Specifically, the cursor occasionally jumps to the edge of the screen or freezes for a split second, and also it seems to lose its vertical tracking ability momentarily (mouse can only move horrizonatally). At this point it really appears to be a hardware problem considering my replacement exhibits none of these issues. And to pound that point home, I swapped the SSD from old machine into the new one, meaning the exact software that had issues was completely fixed when transplanted into the new system. I wish I could tell you a software fix is coming.. but Id advise everyone to get a replacement while you are still in the 21 day zone, otherwise you'll have to convince them to swap out parts to solve the problem, if you can get them to believe you in the first place.

Punch Card
Message 100 of 307 (1,099 Views)

Truant70, you definitely need to have yours replaced then.

Frogybloop, it sounds like you are totally right. We obviously have different degrees or types of fault, but I am pondering wether to go through the hassle of asking for a replacement. Initially they simply told me they'd collect it and refund, as I only received it 15 days ago. I don't really want a refund, but a working X1. I might just keep. I'll see.

Incidentally, I am not going to bother updating the driver. I looked at the list of fixes and it does not include anything remotely close to our problem.

Top kudoed Authors