Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,327
Message 11 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

I'm now having same issue with you guys. I got this new labtop 4 days ago with excitement but this is really annoying. Smiley Sad

I also use Chrome. Trackpad driver files and Chrome(or other programs) may use same windows system files and that could make the trouble but I don't really know why this is happened. Lenovo must check this phenomenon. I hope this is not the hardware problem.

makingmark
SCSI Port
Views: 2,314
Message 12 of 308

I've tried just using Edge browser and looking at Task Manager, there are no Chrome processes running, but I still have problems. I guess I could try uninstalling Chrome and see if that improves things. But I think I'm going to try Lenovo Support first. 

makingmark
SCSI Port
Views: 2,306
Message 13 of 308

I think I may have a solution, seems to be working well so far, fingers crossed:

Go to Chrome settings, open the Privacy section, and uncheck "Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google". Having that checked keeps a background process always running called Google Crash Handler, and I turned up some web posts that implied this process can cause Windows machines to get sluggish. I unchecked it and things seem to be going a lot better (hopefully that's not just correlation but we'll see...)
Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,300
Message 14 of 308

Unfortunately, I found it already unchecked. I also think that Lenovo should fix the driver quickly and make an update.
tyronekj
Paper Tape
Views: 2,289
Message 15 of 308

Thanks for posting this. I thought I was the only one having this problem. I checked and I'm using the sam driver. I called lenovo support and they told me to send the laptop in for support. I just got the laptop 3 days ago. I'm disappointed that Lenovo would ship a new laptop with this type of problem. They only think I can think to do is to return it.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,287
Message 16 of 308

Let's tilt the odds in favor of a quick resolution! Any other observations? Do you notice anything else which may be suggestive, at the time of the problem? Can you make it happen on demand? How?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,281
Message 17 of 308

I had another problem with the Chrome when I watched some comic books (which have a lot of pictures in the page). The problem is some lagging and freezing frequently(4-5sec) when scrolling the page. Other than that, same as other comments(trackpad freezing frequently even in idle), but the trackpoint is OK.

Frogybloop
Punch Card
Views: 2,274
Message 18 of 308

Good idea Bananaman!

Im also curious to know what other people's hardware specs are, perhaps this issue is specific to one type of build over another.

The only two things I've done that have changed anything are as follows:

1.) Disabling the trackpoint in the synaptics settings: This solves the issue of the tap to click no longer functioning once the problem starts, however the cursor freezing still persists. I also notice that the cursor will not freeze as long as you keep your finger on the trackpad. The freeze only occurrs when you remove your finger, then place it back on the pad once again. Also the fact that there is no freezing when you plug in a USB mouse, or use the trackpoint indicates that the cursor itself is not actually freezing, only the connection of the touchpad to the cursor, indicating some sort of software glitch loop with the touchpad drivers themselves.

2.) I completely disabled the precision touchpad drivers and replaced everything with generic synpatics drivers. At this point the touchpad did still function, and I wasn't able to get the freezing to occurr after about 20 minutes of use. However it also disabled all of the touchpad gestures (and also disabled the trackpoint entirely), so I eventually switched back to the original drivers.

Unfortunately I haven't figured out what is triggering the issue, so I can't recreate it without just using the laptop for a while. However, as far as I know it has always occurred while I was using chrome, though this just may be coincidental since I spend the majority of my time on the machine using chrome thusfar. Any other Ideas are welcome. Im happy to try anything people can come up with.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,273
Message 19 of 308

Interesting. I use the TrackPoint most of the time. I'm seeing occasional mousing stalls/freezes with it.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Frogybloop
Punch Card
Views: 2,268
Message 20 of 308

Interesting. I haven't used it much. Is it as bad as the touchpad? Does it work normal then all of a sudden start doing it, or is it just ocassionally? I'm thinking it might be related somehow.

Top Kudoed Authors