Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community SuperMod
Message 21 of 307 (1,632 Views)

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

I'll use the TouchPad more and compare.

I am noticing that when the freeze occurs, the System process (in Task Manager) spikes to 25% or more.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
SCSI Port
Message 22 of 307 (1,617 Views)

So getting rid of Google Crash Handler did not work for the long haul - still having problems. 

And I also agree with bananaman that:

a) the Trackpoint also freezes, just not as badly as the Touchpad (it's more of a hiccup than a complete freeze)

b) I have seen some signs to suggest it's some kind of background utilization issue (sometimes I see the little Windows "cpu is working" circle or whatever it's called). 

SCSI Port
Message 23 of 307 (1,600 Views)

An update: I got on the phone with Lenovo support. Guy was knowledgeable, he remoted into my machine. Went to the Lenovo support site using the Edge browser and updated the driver using the UltraNav driver posted there, then rebooted.

I've been using my laptop for nearly an hour now and haven't had an issue yet using Chrome, so I'm hoping this fixed it. I am confused because I know I updated to that same driver myself, and he checked it using Device Manager. But I do remember seeing some different windows when he did it. I think I may have downloaded it with Chrome and run it from Device Manager instead of the auto update process.

So, here is what I would suggest you try: go here in Microsoft Edge, not Chrome, click the Download Now link and follow all the prompts, then reboot your machine. I'm pretty sure that's what he did.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X...
Punch Card
Message 24 of 307 (1,557 Views)

I tried this driver install method, restarted and opened chrome. Then actually had the issue happen while I was using file manager.. so definitely not fixed.

Fanfold Paper
Message 25 of 307 (1,507 Views)

[ Edited ]

Is there any possibility that the trackpad problem is due to the hardware issues? My OS is Windows 10 Home and if other OS versions or other trackpad driver versions invoke same trouble, then it may be the hardware problem. 

Fanfold Paper
Message 26 of 307 (1,500 Views)

I think I found the solution at the latest BIOS update (2017.3.21) After I update this BIOS update, I think there is no problems about the trackpad for about one hour!!!
Link is below:
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/ko/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x...
SCSI Port
Message 27 of 307 (1,499 Views)

I do think it's possible hardware is involved, though none of us would want that. The support guy said if the driver install didn't fix things, it's probably hardware and to send it in. 

For me, it's been several hours now, and though I'm not sure the pointing devices are working perfectly, they are working *way* better now. I only seem to get a freeze occasionally and it seems like it's probably some background process waking up and using a lot of CPU briefly. Which is why I prefer Chromebooks for anything other than dedicated application work. A lot simpler, they just work. No background processes and drivers and Windows Update and stupid Microsoft design decisions like the Windows Hello smiley face, and on and on....

Fanfold Paper
Message 28 of 307 (1,497 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh no... the BIOS update also doesn't work. It still freezes... but it's much better than before though... Smiley Sad

SCSI Port
Message 29 of 307 (1,478 Views)

Thanks guys for continuing to post your experiences, I will do same...

So after several hours of working fine, the pointing devices started freezing up again. 

I came back here and see that there's a new bios, so I've installed that now, will see how it goes...

Punch Card
Message 30 of 307 (1,452 Views)

I spent last night then tonight using purely microsoft Edge rather than Chrome. It seemed at first like the problem wouldn't crop up, but eventually it did. Ive also had it happen while browsing through some folders in file manager. So at this point it seems that we dont have Chrome to blame entirely, though it certainly seems to exacerbate the issue quicker than other programs/browsers. Either way, it doesn't look like there is going to be an easy fix to this. I still believe its software based, however its still possible some small hardware oddity could be triggering it.

Either way, I broke down and gave Lenovo a ring. The first thing the tech wanted to do was remote in and, you guessed it, reinstall my driver for me. I explained that i'd already done this, and that a number of other people were seeing the same issue, but he informed me there was nothing else he would be able to do. He then offered to let me send in the machine for service, but if I had to guess, its highly likely that they'll just reinstall the driver there, test it for 2 minutes and see it working properly, then send it on back, at which point I would be back where I started. So I told him I couldn't send it away. Turns out, as long as you are within the 21 day window of purchase, you can request a return OR a replacement. So I put in for a complete replacement machine. They'll contact me in "2-3" business days with tracking info, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit longer considering the i5 model isn't even listed as an option on the website at the moment. I'll just deal with it for now and hope the replacement doesn't exhibit the problem. Or they'll put out a software fix sometime inbetween now and then.
Top kudoed Authors