Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 301 of 307 (1,421 Views)

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

Update: machine returned :'(

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 302 of 307 (1,254 Views)

After the traditional start, with Windows pro updates, I realized that the tocuhpad did not work properly. At times it worked and in other cases it was disabled, for this reason I had to do all the initial configuration with the Trackpoint and then with an external mouse.
I proceeded to perform Lenovo Companion software and driver updates, where several features were updated.
I reviewed several Lenovo forums, in English, to learn about a possible similar problem and its solution.
I tried to solve the problem by checking that the BIOS was activated both the Trackpoint and the Touchpad, but it did not work.
Later I tried to configure the functions with the mouse and touch panel option from Control Panel, but both functions are activated, trackpoint and tocuhpad.
The final step was to uninstall the mouse and touchpad drivers, and look for the new drivers from the Lenovo web. In particular Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad.

With all these steps, I have not been able to activate the Tocuhpad, and I do not consider something Good, that a new computer has these drawbacks.

What's DOS?
Message 303 of 307 (475 Views)

Hi I am currently using lenovo L570 and the problem was present on my old Edge 15. It would freez randomly while the trackpoint would still work. I was really confused thinking how can I get rid of this. Well I tried a solution that worked for me but its funny, the problem is bad ground for touchpad, the electrical ground. Touchd pad accumulates charge gradually from users body and then point comes where the mutual capacitance of some of components make it stop work. Yup you may have reservations but try this, attach a ground cable to your wrist and keep touching the frozen trackpad, the issue will disappear haha. Restarting the machine usually made the trackpad neutral so it could last few minutes. Also touching with 2 fingers and 3 for scrolling helped the trackpad because it would take some charge away but eventually come back. Also long time freezing may result in some hardware glitches which lenovo keeps on addressing in its bios updates.  Solution of this problem is better shielding. I am not sure if its dejavu or real but I saw somewhere a guy opening up the trackpad place and but a plastic sheet and an aluminium sheet. I cant find that video on youtube so I doubt i saw somebody real life doing it (digital world problems). The alumium sheet creats a neutralizing sandwich, however if you use the laptop trackpad for I dont know 20 hours continious it may appear again. Also disabling or removing the touchpad and only use the trackpoint will make this problem go away forever i think.

Just to take things to another level here is some food for thought
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Tingling-Sensation-Electric-Shock-May-Be-Notice...

What's DOS?
Message 304 of 307 (166 Views)

> Update: machine returned :'(

Hey Lenovo:

This is what happens when you don't listen.

You drive people to buy competitors' products.
Fanfold Paper
Message 305 of 307 (156 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yep, totally agree. I've given up on trying to get my machine replaced or repaired, despite having a 'global onsite warranty'. All options presented to me involved returning the machine, giving them x days to confirm it was eligble for a refund, and then allowing me to buy another, which would also take x days to come. I use the machine for work, so I don't have that ability. 

I'm pretty sure that is the business model these days: make it so difficult to return that you give up.

Say what you will about Apple, at least they 'get it' when you need to get a machine repaired or replaced under warranty, they have a global network of repair centers and are pretty good at doing it while you wait or within a day.

Paper Tape
Message 306 of 307 (106 Views)

I have a X1 Gen5.  The driver for the Synaptic TouchPad is absolute garbage and worth nothing to us users.  I've been a long time Lenovo user for 12 years. I have noticed that the developlement of the touchpad have gotten worse over the years to the point where there are no features left in the drivers. 

My touchpad is so useless I've stopped using it because it cause all sorts of problems.  Basic functions of going Backware or Forwrard, scroll zones, three & four finger guesters have all been stripped out.  It's gotten so bad, even the general use of the trackpad is slow, glitchy and non-resposnsive.  

Lenovo, you have to get this fixed for a flagship product like this.  

I'm going to think twice of upgrading this in a couple of years to something totally different due to this issue. 

Thanks!

Erich

Token Ring
Message 307 of 307 (86 Views)

I feel your pain, but I guess only Lenovo have an idea of how much this problem is hapening globally. Earlier in this year, when this thread was very active IIRC there were maybe 10-20 people with issues, quite possibly worst with machines manufactured in the first 3 months of X1C5 production. Maybe this then equates to 10-100x as many people who had issue but didn't post here? With the firmware updates and new BIOS the thread seemed to have quietened down. I'm assuming your machine is fully patched? (you need a bootable Win environment to apply them I think).

I was quite concerned that I'd have touchpad issues but (fingers crossed!) never, ever have on my X1C5 (Win10).

Simon

_____
X1C5 May 17 | i7-7600U 16G 1TB LTE W10-1709 | USB3 dock + two 1080p displays, 25% on road
X220: i7, 16GB, m500 960GB, F5521gw
Top kudoed Authors