Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laundoner
Punch Card
Views: 4,550
Message 31 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

I am not contributing any new information but adding my voice in the hope that Lenovo realise that this appears to affect all the 5th Generation X1 Carbons. I took delivery today of my i7 and am having exactly the same problem. After fiddling with the mouse settings it works for a while, only for the problem to reappear eventually.

When at work, I always use an external bluetooth mouse and at least that seems to work flawlessly. I am also impressed that switching off Leave touch pad on when a mouse is connected works very well. Both touchpad and trackpoint stop working automatically when using my Logitech bluetooth mouse. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,537
Message 32 of 308

Are you using Chrome?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
V-C-C
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,531
Message 33 of 308

FTR, I'm getting random lagging on the TrackPoint too (trackpad is disabled in BIOS and Windows 10).

Laundoner
Punch Card
Views: 4,504
Message 34 of 308

@bananaman wrote:

Are you using Chrome?

Yes, I am using Chrome. 

truant70
Punch Card
Views: 4,417
Message 35 of 308

I posted in another forum about this, and I still don't have any improvement. I travel constantly for work, away for months at a time. It was quite a mission just to get this machine in the first place, delivered to a colleague, so getting a replacement isn't so simple for me. I really hope it can be resolved by software/firmware. As it's generally fixed for a while by reboot, surely it's not hardware???

I've completely uninstalled chrome, and it still happens in Firefox, but the onset is slower. I'm getting mis-fires with the touchpad also - where I will be scrolling and randomly the cursor 'clicks' and I'm following an unintended link or selecting text I didn't want to...etc.

I installed the Apple MagicMouse driver soon after setup, and as the only reliable way to use this is by external mouse I can't really strip all of that out and keep using it. Just out of interest, of those having problems, has anyone else added external mouse drivers?

Also, very few people have posted that their touchpad actually works fine, so I'd be really interested to hear from other people without this issue.

Laundoner
Punch Card
Views: 4,407
Message 36 of 308

I installed the Apple MagicMouse driver soon after setup, and as the only reliable way to use this is by external mouse I can't really strip all of that out and keep using it. Just out of interest, of those having problems, has anyone else added external mouse drivers?

Truant70, what do you need to strip out? I am using a Logitech MX Master bluetooth mouse and works perfectly well. I thoroughly recommend it. Two Mac users in the office have bought it after trying mine. It worked without installing any drivers, but I decided to install the Logitech ones, which were offered automatically as soon as I paired it, so that I can have more control. You don't need to if you want to maintain a more pure Signature Edition of Windows 10. I also configured the touchpad from the Windows control panel so that it becomes disabled when the external mouse is in use. That's great because that way you don't keep hitting the touchpad accidentally while typing, and you don't need to remember to turn the touchpad off and on.

Incidentally, I scanned the computer for required updates from the Lenovo support site and applied all of them using the wizzard. That includes a BIOS update, but someone mentioned before that this only worked for a while. So far this has fixed the problem for me but I will report back in a couple of days to see if it holds. I did have a problem installing the Intel Management Engine 11 using the wizard, so I downloaded it manually and installed fine.

I don't know if any particular driver or the BIOS or whatever fixed my track pad, but it's been working a lot longer than it ever had before. And I am using Chrome, by the way. Uninstalling Chrome is not an option. 

I love this machine. It's eye-watering expensive, so I do hope that Lenovo fixes this soon, if the updates don't work. Otherwise it's going back.

Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,393
Message 37 of 308

The latest BIOS update can ease the problem. Before the update, cursor doesn't move at all when I move the finger on the pad during the problem is occurring. But after the update, cursor delays slightly and move correctly for a while more frequently. However, it is still annoying.
I don't know what is the difference between the hardware or software design of the 4th gen and this 5th gen. That difference makes this problem and I think the problem can be due to the hardware design.

Laundoner
Punch Card
Views: 4,349
Message 38 of 308

Bad news: a few hours after the BIOS and drivers update the Touchpad has become unresponsive again.

It's the morning after the BIOS and full driver set upgrade. Initially the Touchpad was working perfectly well and I thought that the problem had been fixed. Sadly, after powering off the machine and on again, the Touchpad mouse pointer started sticking again, badly. This happened on the Windows desktop, even before I had any chance to open any application, but after giving Windows enough time to start background processes. I don't know if it is coincidence but, at the same time as it failed, the Wi-Fi was having trouble connecting to the Internet. I restarted the machine again and Wi-Fi connected fine and it has been working fine since, but the problems with the Touchpad becoming unresponsive have come back with an avengance. I don't think there is any improvement on before the update.

I am having to use an external mouse again, which is fine at work, but not when you are in the move.

I cannot place a call with Lenovo until Monday, but I suggest that everyone with the problem does the same.

incidentally, I wonder if it is just a few machines or everyone with the 5th Gen X1 Carbon.

truant70
Punch Card
Views: 4,331
Message 39 of 308

incidentally, I wonder if it is just a few machines or everyone with the 5th Gen X1 Carbon.

This exactly what I'd like to know. If it's software/firmware, then when will system updates be released to fix the problem? If replacement machines are not having the same problems, then it points to hardware... in which case, Lenovo will know the batch of bad machines and should be contacting us to replace them.

makingmark
SCSI Port
Views: 4,320
Message 40 of 308

OK so two days of testing with latest BIOS and UltraNav driver, I can go about a day before both point and pad become flaky, and restarting fixes the issue for another day.

I'm starting to think it is a hardware issue. I don't know how many systems Lenovo has shipped, we do know they've only been shipping a little over a month, but I think if it was a widespread problem we'd see more posts here and/or elsewhere. I could be wrong about that of course, I don't know what proportion of people are inclined to report tech issues on community sites, maybe it's actually quite low. But elsewise, perhaps those of us here just got defective machines, just as I saw on reddit some got defective displays (though mine is fine). 

Suspect I'll be calling Lenovo to ask for a replacement. 

Top Kudoed Authors